Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does make sense to add phyto to the water column, but it does foul the water pretty quickly, so make sure your filtration is overdone.
I raised my lights way above the tank. Mine will be hidden by cabinet doors...if I ever get around to finishing them, so it's not a problem.

scottayy said:
Thanks Rick.

I've been reading a lot about coral feeding. It appears that while some corals may ingest phyto that phyto is mostly a food for zooplankton and other non-photosynthetic organisms to ingest and then the corals eat these.

When we buy bottled phyto and zooplankton (or products it is contained in), is it still alive?

If not, I would reckon that it would be better if it were alive? I read these posts where it looks pretty darn easy to set up culturing stations for phytoplankton, zooplankton, brine shrimp, and pods. Live feasts surely must make the corals way happy! Not to mention more nutritious.

And, in addition, since phytoplankton seems to be the bottom of the food chain, wouldn't it make sense to add phytoplankton to the whole tank like daily or every other day?

I feed live phyto daily. There are several companies that sell it. Usually if it does not require refrigeration then it's not live

How high did you go mr_x? If I recall correctly your tank is deeper than mine (about 19"). I think I'm going to look into culturing phyto a bit more.

Got a new return pump - mag drive 5. And all of the pipes and fittings for rigid tubing return line.

Prob cut it and fit it here in the next few days. I can use regular pvc cement, right? I mean, after it's cured, it is meant for potable water.

Check out this plate coral I've been bringing back to life :)

two months ago.. almost completely skeleton:
img_2043640_0_811d3501a47a3704853ac12ef1f11e9c.jpg

a month ago:
img_2043640_1_6bec255899e97f206067111c3e0deebd.jpg

now:
img_2043640_2_3030bbbb6518a814e60fb456cbab0df7.jpg

Feeding 2x weekly with mysis and silverside chunks is bringing it back!

Thank you. :) My luck with individual corals seems to go in cycles. Some look bad while others look good and then vice versa.

scottayy said:
Got a new return pump - mag drive 5. And all of the pipes and fittings for rigid tubing return line.

Prob cut it and fit it here in the next few days. I can use regular pvc cement, right? I mean, after it's cured, it is meant for potable water.

Regular PVC cement is completely safe to use on fish systems. I work on petstmart/Petco's filtration systems and there is a ton of PVC on those setups. Schedule 40 (regular white) PVC usually cures to hold joints in about 15 mins. Spa flex or flex PVC takes longer, close to an hour before you can fire the pump back on.

I've installed fresh PVC and waited almost no time before turning the pumps back on, just make sure u use PVC primer before you use the glue, makes for a more secure fitting. YouTube has some great tutorials if you want to check it out. Good luck

Regular PVC cement is completely safe to use on fish systems. I work on petstmart/Petco's filtration systems and there is a ton of PVC on those setups. Schedule 40 (regular white) PVC usually cures to hold joints in about 15 mins. Spa flex or flex PVC takes longer, close to an hour before you can fire the pump back on.

I've installed fresh PVC and waited almost no time before turning the pumps back on, just make sure u use PVC primer before you use the glue, makes for a more secure fitting. YouTube has some great tutorials if you want to check it out. Good luck

Thanks a lot! Had no idea about the primer. My research was going to be later today, lol.

The primer does help, but not necessary. It is up to you if you use it or not. I just used the pvc cement on mine. Dry fit everything first, coat both ends with cement, insert and give a quarter twist. Pretty simple. I don't understand why people think it is really hard and avoid it. If I hadn't listened to people say how hard it was, I would have done it ages ago.

scottayy said:
Thank you. :) My luck with individual corals seems to go in cycles. Some look bad while others look good and then vice versa.

That seems to be the way it always goes in a mixed tank!

Got all my plumbing fit, cut, and pvc cemented together. Like sniperhank said.. super easy.

I can really turn on my pump already? It's been about an hour. Maybe I should wait a day or so?

I was going to paint the pvc black but didn't want to wait the extra day, lol. All I have left to do is drill the holes.

Wires are a mess right now.

img_2049483_0_a21bfcfda2942e52b39679c33069c095.jpg

img_2049483_1_e9d17181d96d967ec6f84dd2d86f9f52.jpg

img_2049483_2_f94a8d51d4b30f6d3baf77cb62e7ee66.jpg

:D drilled my holes turned it on
it is awesome
the mag drive puts out far superior flow (but i can't knock the via aqua for lasting 1.5 years)

I'm pretty positive i'm maxing out the 300gph flow rate for the overflow box.

No updates for a while though I have one coming.

The only thing that sucks lately is my 7 head duncan (5 of which I grew myself!!) has been closed up since I put in the new plumbing.

Should I move it or wait longer? I don't want it to die. I'm thinking it doesn't like the new flow in it's direction.

Back
Top Bottom