Sea anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casper21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought a medium sized Heteracti magnifica. I have a pair of perculas that have made themselves comfortable within the anemone. The morning after, it looked limp and the tentacles were a lot more thinner. I moved the rock it was attached to to a higher location on my rocks to get more light. I was able to feed it mysis using a turkey baster. Its condition got a lot better during the day. About 6 hours after moving, it suddenly became limp again.
Could it be my anemone is dying?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-2758034122.jpg
    image-2758034122.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 133
Was it already attached to this rock when you bought it?
What type of lights do you have? How long are they on? Try imitate dawn,day,dusk and even moonlight.
Check your water..... Make sure you have good water circulation.

My Mag looked upset for a day and a bit but then found his spot and came good. Just keep your eye on it. Maybe feed it 1/2 a fresh (raw) prawn and see if it takes it. Remove it if it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply.
The anemone was not attached to a rock when i bought it. I have metal halides. 12 hours actinics and 8 hours mh. 10 am- 12
Noon actinics, 12-8pm mh, 8-10pm actinics, 10 pm - 6 am led moonlights. Water values are all good. Fed it with mysis and was able to take it in.

It's probably just getting use to the lighting change as no doubt it's different to the LFS.
Do you do regular WC? Or do you use trace elements? My LFS told me they do require Calcium and Iodine.....He told me an indication of unhappiness is prolonged trumpeting as well as loss of colour.
I'm sure it will come good

i would not move any rocks. it will move if it needs to. i would also not add anything extra to the tank you are not testing for. that can do more harm than good in a hurry!
when in doubt, do a water change.

KwakaZX12R said:
It's probably just getting use to the lighting change as no doubt it's different to the LFS.
Do you do regular WC? Or do you use trace elements? My LFS told me they do require Calcium and Iodine.....He told me an indication of unhappiness is prolonged trumpeting as well as loss of colour.
I'm sure it will come good

I guess it is just adjusting to the lighting schedule. I noticed the last 2 days, it goes limp between 4pm to 12 midnight. It becomes fully "bloomed" after midnight. And even through darkness and LED moonlighting it still blooms up.
I do regular WC, about 20% every 10-14 days. I have not tried adding trace elements and i do not have calcium reactor.

Back
Top Bottom