Seaweed/algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffjets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When I purchased my live rock it had some small(less than 1/2 inch) red like paper leaves/algae? My tank has been up for about 3 months now and those little red leaves/algae have grown to be around 6-8 inches long. They are as thin as paper but are wide and like a sheet now. Are these bad and something I should remove or ok? Everyone who sees my tank says they look cool flowing in the current of my powerheads, which I agree with. I just didn't know if they are bad for the system. Also will algae eatting fish like blenny's eat these? Comments?

Interesting. I will let others answer this but if I had to guess I would say it is a good think. But without pictures it is goign to be hard for people to help you.

sounds sorta like what i have on one of my live rocks. its some kind of macro algae for sure. nothing in my tank touches it though.

I have that too, only on one piece of LR.

It is Halymenia sp. The only real negative is that it will try to take over. Be sure to keep it trimmed back. In my experience, nothing will eat it. It does act as a nutrient export, so as long as you keep it in check, it is beneficial.

Cool, the piece of LR that has it is in my QT now....

Back
Top Bottom