Sebae Anemone or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedukeman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this a Long Tentacle Sebae Anemone? Or is it bleached? When I brought it home it looked great for two days then this afternoon It appeared to be turning inside out discharging waste, or something. Now the tentacles are flat and non-sticky I think I'm more pissed off than anything becuase I finally got my nitrates under 10 ppm and things were looking great until this guy flattened out. Anyway I'm looking for a good link to this species so I can research a little more about their behavior.
TIA,

Jason

Attachments

• sebae.jpg
    sebae.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 132
Looks like a Heteractis crispa, not an LTA. It is definately bleached and dangerously close to the tube anemone. Keep an eye on that.

What kind of lights do you have on the 125 gal and how old is the tank.

Cheers
Steve

I'm runnig around 5 wpg of VHO, also I read the the Heteractis crispa; H. magnifica; Stichodactyla gigantea, are host's to the percula clown fish. This is why I purchased this anemone. But I also heard that there are no WHITE host anemone..... CONFUSED!
Here is the link in which I found the species and their occupants.

http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/ch2.html#percu

You my have to copy and paste to your address bar.
Thanks,
Jaosn

thedukeman said:
But I also heard that there are no WHITE host anemone..... CONFUSED!
Your right there isn't, as I said the anemone is bleached. In other words it has lost the zooxanthellae that nourishes it. It will take time to color back up but as long as the water specs are prisctine and stable it may come along. You'll just have to play wait and see.

Cheers
Steve

It has been a week now and it seems to be getting a yellowish brown color to it. I'm currently feeding the tank with Kent ChromaPlex, Phytoplankton and dosing the tank with Calcium. Hopefully that will sustain it's recovery.
Regards,
Jason

Anemones do not use calcium. Be sure you are testing the Ca levels before adding as well as the alk levels. These should be balanced.

The increase in color is a good sign. It should eventually reach a greenish/grey color.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom