seeking advice for quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokey11

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been 3 weeks since I lost most of my tetras from ich. I'm planning to restock with a couple guppy or other small fishes. (Less than 6)

Would like to ask what is the best way to quarantine new fishes.

I only have one proper fish tank so any quarantine will need to take place in a bucket or plastic container. What would .be the minimum size of the quarantine tank n will they be ok without any filtration or heat(room temp 23C) systems?

Should I use tap water for the q tank or scoop water from my existing tank? And how often do I need to change the q tank water?

Finally how long do I need to quarantine the new fish for?

I appreciate all your help !!

smokey11 said:
It's been 3 weeks since I lost most of my tetras from ich. I'm planning to restock with a couple guppy or other small fishes. (Less than 6)

Would like to ask what is the best way to quarantine new fishes.

I only have one proper fish tank so any quarantine will need to take place in a bucket or plastic container. What would .be the minimum size of the quarantine tank n will they be ok without any filtration or heat(room temp 23C) systems?

Should I use tap water for the q tank or scoop water from my existing tank? And how often do I need to change the q tank water?

Finally how long do I need to quarantine the new fish for?

I appreciate all your help !!

A proper QT tank is filtered and heated and constantly kept cycled and id say anywhere from 2-4 weeks and yes the fish need filtration and heat unless they are cold water fish and idk what 28c is in Fahrenheit

Thanks. I guess I'll hold off from buying until I can get a quarantine tank

Don't forget there's still ich in your main tank you need to turn up the heat to 86-88 degrees for a week or so to kill off the remaining ich so I wouldn't put any fish in there for the time being.

New plants should be quarantined or dipped as well. Plants from tanks with NO fish may have a lower risk with ick but that also depends on the filtration system being used (eg central).

tonedogz said:
Don't forget there's still ich in your main tank you need to turn up the heat to 86-88 degrees for a week or so to kill off the remaining ich so I wouldn't put any fish in there for the time being.

Fresh2o said:
New plants should be quarantined or dipped as well. Plants from tanks with NO fish may have a lower risk with ick but that also depends on the filtration system being used (eg central).

+1 on both good advice here

Back
Top Bottom