Seeking constructive criticism on my planted tank plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmurphy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I JUST bought the tank for the setup outlined below ::excited:: Is my setup conducive for a beginner's first tank? Are my plant choices and choice of lights conducive to using only liquid carbon (no pressurized CO2)? Will the Excel melt any of my plants (as I've read some plants are prone to do)? I am comfortable with slow-growing plants, so long as they're alive :) Are there any other weaknesses that need improving?

Tank and equipment

• Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (rimless: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")
  • Finnex Ray II Ultra Slim LED, 36"
  • EHEIM Classic External Canister Filter 2213
  • Archaea Mini Aquarium Heater (50w)
Plants (the other green meat)

• Dwarf Spikerush, eleocharis parvula
  • Baby Tears, hemianthus micranthemoides
  • Narrow Leaf Java Fern, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow'
  • Dwarf Sagittaria, sagittaria subulata
  • Java Moss, taxiphyllum barbieri
Hardscape, soil, ferts

• Amazonia, normal type
  • Clear Super*
  • Bacter 100*
  • Tourmaline BC*
  • Seachem Flourish Excel
  • Some sort of inert stones and a nice gnarly driftwood (still looking for these)
Fish-folk

• (8-10) Neon Green Rasbora, microdevario kubotai (1" full grown)
  • (8-10) Blue Pearl Shrimp, neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. blue
* NOTE: I'm including these to make up for only using liquid carbon?

With that much light you will need to use fertilizers also. I personally use dry fertilizers that's Rivercats recommends from green leaf aquariums. I have that same light on a 44gallon tank. It's a lot of light so you will be able to grow pretty much whatever you want. I think the excel should be fine, but I'm no expert. I'm sure someone else can chime in as well. Good luck, I'll be following.

Sweet setup! I really like those 12g long rimless tanks! Billbug68 has the same tank and light. He has a beautiful carpet of HC. If it were me, I'd personally go with pressurized co2. I suppose you can get by with liquid carbon because Rivercats sure does. Definitely get a comprehensive fertilizer regimen going. The PPS-Pro pack from GLA is good. You'll definitely be in the high light range.

Edit:
If you don't want to invest in a pressurized co2 system, maybe consider DIY (sugar/yeast) co2 in combination with excel (or glut).

Last edited:
Ray II is a lot of light for a 12 g, I wrestle with it some on a 40b and it has pressurized carbon dioxide. Maybe a fugeray if you like the finnex brand. I bought a pro lumen off someone that had it on a twelve gallon. I think Current-USA makes them.

I think with that much light and that plant selection, you'll be disappointed by Excel. You could potentially do DIY co2 on a tank that small fairly easily, and I think that it will give you a lot more flexibility and results than what you're looking at right now.

For sure with that light the java will explode.

Great set up by the way, looking forward to pics!

If you do decide to go with dosing a liquid carbon with that much light you are going to have to dose a higher amount than the standard recommended. That is the only way it will work. Also Brian is right that you need to look into dosing a dry ferts either PPS-Pro or El with that type light.

Yay! Another 12 long! :D

I wouldn't say it's a good plan for a "beginner" planted tank, but it's a good plan nonetheless. ;)

+1 to everyone who mentioned dry ferts... You'll need to keep the tank balanced to succeed... You can try just dosing excel, as said before, rivercats makes it work... But I highly doubt in that shallow of a tank, it'll work... :hide:

I love my pressurized co2. :) it's definitely worth the investment, and probably the best one I've made for mine! Good luck, looking forward to see your tank come together!

Thanks for the kind words and all of your suggestions. These are exactly the things I hoped to hear.

It sounds like the Ray2 will be too much light. After looking at the Lumens and Fuge, I'm thinking the Fuge simply because I can get it for around $100 cheaper. I LOVE the slim looks on both. Will the 7000 on the Fuge still be too high?

I also read up on PPS-Pro. It seems rather straight forward after reading the directions and playing with the calculator. PPS will be happening - THANKS for the heads up here. However, am I remembering correctly that River has a slightly different ratio depending on the tank?

As for whether liquid carbon will be enough ... Could overdosing Excel to balance out the side effects of so much light potentially hurt the shrimp?

Yay! Another 12 long! :D

I wouldn't say it's a good plan for a "beginner" planted tank, but it's a good plan nonetheless. ;)

+1 to everyone who mentioned dry ferts... You'll need to keep the tank balanced to succeed... You can try just dosing excel, as said before, rivercats makes it work... But I highly doubt in that shallow of a tank, it'll work... :hide:

I love my pressurized co2. :) it's definitely worth the investment, and probably the best one I've made for mine! Good luck, looking forward to see your tank come together!

EDIT:
@Bill, The tank is just too pretty, so I HAD to get it. I actually just got the email saying its been shipped by MarineDepot ::excited::

It really sounds like the pressurized CO2 is the way to go in the long run. I'm a full-time doc student, so the CO2 might have to wait until le Christmas ;)

EDIT:
@Bill, The tank is just too pretty, so I HAD to get it. I actually just got the email saying its been shipped by MarineDepot ::excited::

It really sounds like the pressurized CO2 is the way to go in the long run. I'm a full-time doc student, so the CO2 might have to wait until le Christmas ;)

Why don't you try get hold of a co2 fire extinguisher and valve for cheap that's what I've got in my planted works brilliant! Search it up on YouTube it's soo easy and cheap to do!

DIY co2 generator (yeast/sugar) is cheap to construct and operate. You can use it with regular excel dosing. I think you'll get favorable results without breaking the bank. You can upgrade to pressurized in December. There's a ton of how to threads and YouTube videos.

Last edited:
So I'm hearing overwhelming support for, at minimum, a DIY CO2 rig along with supplemental Excel dosing (and dry fert as well). I can see how the CO2 would be needed. I'll start searching videos and tutorials after I finish my last paper and the last of my grading for this semester (eww). I know I already have one of those 14oz make-you-own-soda CO2 bottles ... would that work?

Side note: Is this a place to ask a follow-up on potential (read: cheap) brands you all trust for pressurized systems that fit the 12-long, or would I be better served starting a new thread over in hardware?

@aquamandan, There's no tank yet! It's on it's way. But there will definitely be a "watch and laugh as I fail with my first tank ever" journal thread once it gets here :) Thanks for your interest!

Hmmm... I tried a DIY paintball system at first, but didn't like it... I ended up getting the GLA atomic paintball regulator($149), 20 oz paintball tanks($20 each), cheap bubble counter from amazon(99 cents!), and a glass diffuser off ebay(between $5-15 depending on what you choose.) just to give you a ballpark cost wise.

Edit: oh and a glass drop checker and 4dkh solution that can be had from eBay for cheap as well.

Last edited:
Hmm, what about the DIY paintball system didn't you like, Bill?

I ask because I've discovered the local sports store will refill 20oz paintball cylinders for $4. That doesn't seem too bad, so long as I can rig a safe system ::eep::

It was very touchy, hard to adjust, and it didn't have a solenoid so I had to leave it running 24/7. I mean, it worked, I just didn't like refilling the tanks so often.

So it's the solenoid and regulator that limit whether CO2 is leaving the tank? Would this do the trick: Aquatek Regulator Mini with Integrated Solenoid? My tank is only 12 gallons, so I'm hoping a 20oz or 24oz cylinder will last me a long while in between refills ... question mark

EDIT: Alternatively, GLA makes one too

So it's the solenoid and regulator that limit whether CO2 is leaving the tank? Would this do the trick: Aquatek Regulator Mini with Integrated Solenoid? My tank is only 12 gallons, so I'm hoping a 20oz or 24oz cylinder will last me a long while in between refills ... question mark

EDIT: Alternatively, GLA makes one too

The Aquatek is good from what I hear. They used to be a great deal. They were only $80 at one point but they just recently raised the price. Which is why I went with the GLA one.

This was the DIY setup. It's just an on/off valve and a $5 needle valve from Home Depot. The problem with it is that you're reducing 1000+ psi with only the needle valve. The actual regulators, regulate the psi down to a more manageable psi, then you fine tune with a higher quality needle valve all in one assembly.

Attachments

• image-827106050.jpg
    image-827106050.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom