Self sustaining tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcannelis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could this work because I want to experiment 15g. I don't want to use any tech at all or food or water change and see if they survive on their own

First I put in a lot of plants so that those will create all of the necessary oxygen
Next I add mystery snails to clean
Next I put in about 30 ghost shrimp and they clean the gravel and eat algae and snails for food
Next they reproduce and have a whole bunch of babies
Next I add in guppies for good they have plants and shrimp for protein
Finally the guppies reproduce and the fry can hide under the banana plants near the floor or get eaten as protein

So I wouldn't need to use filter since shrimp and snails clean and no food since they all eat eachother

If anything all the water will eventually just evaporate and no mater how many plants you have the water will become pretty gross stinky and uninhabitable

Idk if it will work it will deff be an experiment but i think u will at least have to do some water changes

Yup you can, you require a lot of plants and lots of water movement.

You don't even really need to do water changes. Once a month.

So if I do water changes could it work?

I am not an expert, but why experiment with the lives of the fish? I mean I know they are just fish and I have cleaned and fileted a lot of fish in my time for the purposes of eating, but I did not make them endure prolonged suffering. Your experiment could possibly subject the inhabitants to unnecessary stress and suffering. And by the way, I am far from a peta nut and I believe in animals as food, but I just don't think any living creature should have to endure suffering if it can be avoided or is not necessary.

I am not an expert, but why experiment with the lives of the fish? I mean I know they are just fish and I have cleaned and fileted a lot of fish in my time for the purposes of eating, but I did not make them endure prolonged suffering. Your experiment could possibly subject the inhabitants to unnecessary stress and suffering. And by the way, I am far from a peta nut and I believe in animals as food, but I just don't think any living creature should have to suffer.

Isn't it just pretty much them in natural habitat though and you think I shouldn't. Me and friend want to see who can make last longer. Also if they survive its good thing isn't it. Sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to fish. Only started in december

Isn't it just pretty much them in natural habitat though and you think I shouldn't. Me and friend want to see who can make last longer. Also if they survive its good thing isn't it. Sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to fish. Only started in december

Natural habitat is natural. We as aquarists can only go so far in recreating nature. I mean you are comparing 15 gallons to a body of water or stream or whatever system in nature. It cannot be extrapolated so simply. Lots of variables to consider. Again, I am no expert, but I know enough about science and nature to know what you want to do is not feasible. Even some large koi ponds need filtration and some of them are as close to nature without being nature as you can get. Synthetic nature can only do so much.

Natural habitat is natural. We as aquarists can only go so far in recreating nature. I mean you are comparing 15 gallons to a body of water or stream or whatever system in nature. It cannot be extrapolated so simply. Lots of variables to consider. Again, I am no expert, but I know enough about science and nature to know what you want to do is not feasible. Even large koi ponds need filtration and some of them are as close to nature without being nature as you can get.

You should google this subject a little more, it's entirely possible with a dirted tank and power heads.

As long as you have good lighting plants will rip nitrates out of the water.

You can get away with a monthly water change.

There are tons of success stories online.

And for fish poo and vacuuming, it basically just turns into dirt and plants use it.

Also I'm not using many fish maybe 5 more shrimp though. 1 male 4 females guppies

You should google this subject a little more, it's entirely possible with a dirted tank and power heads.

As long as you have good lighting plants will rip nitrates out of the water.

You can get away with a monthly water change.

There are tons of success stories online.

What he is proposing is not what you are referring to. Powerheads would not fit into his scenario. I know what you are referring to, but it is done with larger tanks or ponds and there is use of powered equipment in most cases. Again, what the op is proposing should not be encouraged and is not feasible.

Mmm I've never heard of anyone doing it a 15 g either. I think it would be interesting though. I'm sure he could find a way to make sufficient water current.

http://m50.photobucket.com/albumvie...Aquarium/15g-FWPT-FTS-PS-Planted.jpg.html?o=2

I think he could make something like that with some tall plants as well

The only problem is that with no filter and just plants you could not have a large fish load.

Maybe 1/3 the amount of fish.

Mmm I've never heard of anyone doing it a 15 g either. I think it would be interesting though. I'm sure he could find a way to make sufficient water current.

http://m50.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Travis_777/15g%20Planted%20Aquarium/15g-FWPT-FTS-PS-Planted.jpg.html?o=2

I think he could make something like that with some tall plants as well

The only problem is that with no filter and just plants you could not have a large fish load.

Maybe 1/3 the amount of fish.

Will do

I would encourage using a filter until your tank is matured and your plants are thriving.

You will have to also look up which plant fertilization method you want to use.

Some like using flourish do require weekly water changes. Or else you can get serious algae issues

Pps-pro you can do monthly water changes.

Make sure when you do it, it's properly dirted.

Regular substrate will require co2 which will make you need a co2 tank and stuff which is supposedly the opposite of what you want since you don't want a filter.

Back
Top Bottom