selling babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a preggo molly... im just curious which route to take with this... should I let her have her babies in the main tank and just do a survival of the fittest kind of thing.. or sell the babies...
1. what to pet stores pay for them typically?
2. what kind of set up would i need for the babies if i seperate them

oh- and any helpful info on preggo mollies would be great as I have never had a pregoo fishie:) thanks!

In my area they LFS will just take the fish and then sell them they seldom will pay for them. It is the same with most aquarium plants as well.

The more common the fish is the less you'll get. I sell 90% of my fish on craigslist now, with only a few going to LFS. They are a business and have to make money where on Craigslist I get all the profit.

do you have common fish? what would be a reasonable price for mollies?? also- what would i need to keep them from being eaten in the main tank... and 3rd - what would it cost to get to equip?

for you tank, your going to want cover. fry and naturally cautious, but tall thick plants, caves, even the gravel have been favorite places for "my" fry to hide... GL to you its so exciting. We have never sold our fry. But were in a small town and my sister owns a pet boutique, (with just some fish foods) we'll put a add up there when our fry are big enough to go. Probably only ask a couple bucks each... they sell for 6-9$ each at the lfs. But were not really doing it for he money, its a survival of the fittest thing, and its just to keep the tanks from over populating...GL to you

Back in the day when I had a lot of fry from swordtails, guppies and mollies I used to give them to my LFS' for free (if they didn't really want to pay for them) or for a small amount of store credit. My interest was never really making money though, I just didn't want them crammed in my tank and dying off because of it.

Craigslist seems like a fine option if you want to sell them though.

it appears my other female molly is acting aggressivly toward the preggo female...whats up with that???

maybe they see her a different or sick sometime when i had a sick fish it seems like the other would pick on it alot but with my goldfish are sick now and they stay side by side all day and night

Back
Top Bottom