Semi-Aggressive tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am turning the 29 gallon tank into a semi aggressive tank, currently it houses 3 Giant Danios, with plans to add others. I have a few questions in regards to this tank, first of all, will my L047 pleco be ok in that tank for a while? I know it's small, but he is small too, and I'm tired of my common bullying him. Also, if I stocked some dwarf puffers, could I stock anything else? We want to add some Bala sharks, so we need whatever to be able to survive with them.

Thank you all in advance,

Bear

Bala sharks will outgrow the tank...I wouldn't suggest getting them. They are very active and will sometimes bang the glass on tanks that are too small.

Dwarf puffers should be kept in species tanks. Giant Danios may be fast enough to stay out of their way. I wouldn't suggest keeping anything with long fins or slow in with them. Heavily plant the tank with live or fake plants to break up sight lines. The DPs are small, but fiesty.

If you skip the DPs, you could add a pair of some type of cichlid....maybe some Firemouths, using the Danios as dithers.

Or, you could possibly add some Tiger Barbs, though a longer tank is really better for them in the long run (the Danios as well ;)). They are both very active.

Serpae tetras are considered semi-aggressive by many.......depends on what you are going for. Keep in mind many semi-aggressive fish may not be happy in a 29g long term.

edit: Post 1700....wooot! 8)

Honestly, we are setting this tank up as a refuge for the Mango plec, as he has been getting bullyed. We were looking into a semi-aggressive tank as a sort of branch out, looking to try something different, our tropical community tank is doing quite well. We had discussed brackish, or salt, but we dont have the needed funds for that setup at this moment. What could we put in there with the L047 pleco that is semi aggressive, but wont really mess with him?

Since the tank is centered around the Mango pleco, I'd just add some "semi-aggressive" mid-top dwellers that won't bother him. If you had enough Tiger Barbs, they most likely wouldn't bother the plec. Buenos aires tetras, believe it or not, can be considered semi-aggressive, since they can be nippy to each other and long finned fish. I think they'd leave a pleco alone though. Serpae tetras are another option that I mentioned above. Black Widow tetras could be considered semi-aggressive too.

Rainbowfish are not semi-aggressive, but a school of Dwarf Neon Rainbows would look great.

Since the plec will need around a 75g tank eventually, you could add some fish in now that will be fine in a 29g and then later, if you upgrade, add other semi-aggressive fish to the mix. Its just that a 29g is on the smaller side for most semi-aggressive fish.

I wouldn't suggest adding any other bottom feeders, so that the plec can relax in the tank and not have a chance of being bullied.

Maybe others have more suggestions....I am having trouble thinking of fish to fit the tank. :)

I appreciate the help thus far, and the suggestions, it will really make this tank easier to setup. We have a 55 currently, but with the 2 larger plec's, he's been getting bullied off the food...

Again, thank you

Back
Top Bottom