set up 20 gal tank 2 days ago...now cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbirdag96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my brother's old 20gal tank that'd been sitting in his garage for about a year. I cleaned it out with some "fish safe" tank cleaner before setting it up. It has all new stuff in it (bio-wheel filter, tank decoration w/ bubbler, heater, plastic plants, and 25lbs of tank gravel). I bought a starter kit of chemicals that covered 3 "bases"...water conditioner, pH leveler, and ammonia. I added the kit turned on the filter and have been running it since Sunday evening. Everything has looked fine until this morning when I noticed it was cloudy. It's not "pea soup" cloudy, but very noticeable...I can still see through the tank from the front to the back if that helps. I haven't added any fish yet. So, I'm at a loss as to why its cloudy.

What should I do to get it clear again?

How long should I wait b4 adding fish and what kinds would you recommend I start off with. I know to add them gradually over a period of time to help with acclimation.

Sorry I didn't mention this, but my tank is freshwater...the article was how to set up a saltwater tank. Thanks though! :)

The same method applies for freshwater and saltwater. I prefer the pure ammonia method versus using raw shrimp or fish food. Have you tested your tank water yet? And a quick note, don't use the pH leveler. It will only cause your pH level to fluctuate.

Where can I find the pure ammonia method you speak of? No, we haven't gotten a test kit yet. However, I'm likely going to get one this evening as I knew I'd be needing it. Thanks for the advice on not using the pH addititve.

I've been getting a lot of different answers as to how long I should wait b4 adding fish...from a day to weeks. Most people have said to wait a week, but I don't want to have a tank of dead/sick fish b/c I didn't wait an appropriate amount of time.

jbirdag96 said:
Sorry I didn't mention this, but my tank is freshwater...the article was how to set up a saltwater tank. Thanks though! :)

The article is universally applied to FW, Brackish and SW setups.

You can find pure ammonia at hardware stores like Ace Hardware. Just make sure there are not any additives or scents added to it. Basically you dose enough ammonia in the tank to bring the level up to 4 ppm. Keep dosing daily to keep the level constant. Eventullay you will notice that after 24 hours your ammonia level will be 0. Half the dosage amount and start tracking Nitrites. Once the Nitrites and Ammonia fall to 0 24 hours after the tank has been dosed, you have a cycled tank. Keep dosing for a few more days to ensure that it is actually cycled. Then do a rather large water change (about 80%) and add fish. During this time do not clean the filter, gravel, or decor.

The AP Freshwater Master Test Kit is a great kit. Do not purchase the test strips. They are too expensive in the long run and are not as accurate.

How much should I dose initially? I presume that I keep the daily schedule with that amount then the half amount until the readings reach 0?

Thank you for your patience in answering this questions :)

You want to add 4ppm initially. Then test everyday and keep the levels at 4ppm. Do not add 4ppm a day, just add enough to keep the level at 4ppm. When you start seeing nitrite maintain a ammonia level of 2ppm.

TomK2 did the math for us:

I did do the calculations, and for the ACE Janitorial Strength 10% ammonia solution it takes 0.34 ml for 1 ppm in ten gal. I then dosed my 10 gal tank with 0.34 ml and got exactly 1 ppm on the ammonia test.

So you want to add 2.7 ml.

HTH

I got an AP Freshwater Kit and tested for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. The Ammonia and Nitrates were 0 and the Nitrites were .25
I didn't add ammonia since the ammonia we had wasn't pure, foamed up when shaken, so I'm going to get some this afternoon in order to test the tank again.

Are these readings for an initial test reasonable/common?

Back
Top Bottom