Setting up 135 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bahonj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im not a saltwater guy only freshwater, so i might be off on some descriptions. found a 135 gal reef tank on craigslist for cheap. it is drilled with two holes in the corner with a overflow (i think thats what its called - glass partition around the holes). its a glass tank with a three inch lip all around the top.

this will be converted to a FW tank.

question - how do i plumb this tank using the overflow and the holes. i have only used HOB filters. i cant put a HOB filter on this tank because of the lip on top.

i've looked at cannisters at petsmart and petco but the staff there is not really helpful. i really dont want a second tank underneath but im looking for a clean install. HELP!!!!

all input will be appreciated.

With a tank that big I would get 2 canisters and plumb them into the overflow drain holes and then run the return lines back into the aqaurium

Look at trickle filters, they work basically the same as cannister filters and you can find them on Craigslist nowadays pretty cheap, they work great, actually a little to good sometimes becoming nitrate factories (same with cannister filters) to prevent this you just have to clean them out a few times a year.

Here's a fancier one for example:

image-3597329759.jpg

Back
Top Bottom