Setting up a 40g FW community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason that statement instantly endeared me more to angelfish, haha. Good to know. I'll consider a good "handful" of RCS, then. My only concern would be ending up with too many through breeding.
Amano shrimp will most likely not breed in your tank and make an excellent cleanup crew! A nice school of say 10 rummynose tetras would look great with a black angel fish!

I would avoid zebra or leopard danios with an angel, just because they are just so spazzy and Angels are so chill and will be irritated

That makes sense, Threnjen. It's how I feel around small children sometimes, haha.

Do you think a small group of emperor or kerri tetras would be a better choice? I'll have lots of warm colours with the Von Rio flame tetras, so I'm looking for a small schooling fish in a cooler colour, like blue, purple, or even green. Any suggestions?

Maybe! I'll let others answer. My internal fish encylopedia is not that extensive, so I only have opinions/knowledge on the most exceptionally common species.
One you might take a look at is the black neon tetra, it is black with green neon stripe, instead of red and blue like a normal neon.
I have cardinal tetras in my tank with an angel and they are amazing. Their blue stripe glows bright neon all the time and the red just pops.

I was considering green or black neons but I'm worried that they may end up eaten!

Can I ask if your cardinals bother your angel at all? Or vice versa?

Nope not at all, but in fairness I have a 90 and there is lots of room for everyone. But my angel is absolutely completely chill, I have never once seen him chase another fish for even a second. That could just be my angel's personality but I'm not complaining!

The nice thing about the black neons is they do get a bit bigger than a normal neon, more like a cardinal, and cardinals are considered ok to be with angels in compatibility lists.

Nope not at all, but in fairness I have a 90 and there is lots of room for everyone. But my angel is absolutely completely chill, I have never once seen him chase another fish for even a second. That could just be my angel's personality but I'm not complaining!

The nice thing about the black neons is they do get a bit bigger than a normal neon, more like a cardinal, and cardinals are considered ok to be with angels in compatibility lists.

I didn't know that about black neons; thanks for the info!

What colour's your angel?

Mine is gold/black vertical strips, he is awesome. Easily our favorite fish (him or the ram who is also amazing). I highly recommend Angels, they manage to be really interesting although they don't actually do that much.
I would take a pic but he's actually in the hospital right now :( and the water in there is dark blue from methylene blue.

Mine is gold/black vertical strips, he is awesome. Easily our favorite fish (him or the ram who is also amazing). I highly recommend Angels, they manage to be really interesting although they don't actually do that much.
I would take a pic but he's actually in the hospital right now :( and the water in there is dark blue from methylene blue.

Poor guy! I hope he's better soon.

View attachment 223241not sure if u care but here's mine

That's a beautiful angel. Is it pearlscale or just very healthy and shiny?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392678933.664249.jpg here's a pic I just took. I can actually almost pet him when he comes up for food a very chill fish

How big is your tank and what have you got in there with him, if you don't mind me asking?

I was hesitant about angels at first, but now I honestly don't know why. I guess I had a silly idea that they were mean for some reason. Everyone with angels that I've spoken to seem to be very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom