Setting up a 75 as a "sump" for a 125...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grouch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting ready to build a stand for a 75 that will be used as a "planted sump" for my 125. I will have the 125 overflow into the 75, and then use a couple canisters to draw back into the 125. My question is how should I line up the water levels in both tanks? Should they be exactly lined up before the canisters are fired, or should the 75's be a little lower?

Thanks!
Grouch

Cannister filters aren't designed to deal with head pressure, so I don't know that it can pump the water upward very much. If the two tanks are close in height, they'll probably equilize to a level that the pumps can sustain.

With two tanks side by side like that, you could have an aquatic jungle in the sump to process nitrates from the fish!

CKfish

The tanks will be side by side. The whole reason I am doing this is to knock those nitrates down for the count!!! :D

WOW...building a 75g planted tank to knock out nitrates on a 125g certainly is an expensive route.

Must be a really long wall :lol:

Mojo Troll said:
WOW...building a 75g planted tank to knock out nitrates on a 125g certainly is an expensive route.

Must be a really long wall :lol:

Not when the 75 was free! :wink:

Plenty of room to do this in a 1400 square foot, finished basement. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom