Setting up a cichlid tank and concerned about temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have bene tossing around the idea of setting up a cichlid tank to compliment my reef setup. The only problem is the best place for me to set everything up is in my room over the garage where I do not run AC/Heat depending on the time of year. Of course, living in the south, the summer is my biggest concern My big question is does anyone have a tank in a similar situation and how hot can teh water get in a cichlid tank before the will die or not be happy? Thanks in advance guys!!! :lol:

Try Live Aquaria for temperature information about fish environment temperatures. there are water coolers you can buy for tanks, but I am not familiar with them.

It kind of depends on what lake area you are getting the cichlids from. Discus cichlids like temps upwards of 86-88 degrees, while some afticans prefer 10 degrees cooler. S.A. cichlids from different regions also have different needs, as well as C.A and U.S. types.

Really depends on the kind of cichlids you are considering.

The size of the tank will play an important part in how the ambient temperature affects the water temp. A larger tank will not fluctuate with the change in daily temps as a smaller tank will. In the summer, the tanks heater(s) may hardly be used and you may need to keep the tank lights off to help keep the water temp from getting too high. What size tank are you thinking about and what type of cichilds?

Yes as other mentioned depends on the fish and the size of your tank. If you can give us more details or what you are thinking we could give better advice.

I have a tank with S/C American Cichlids and in the summer time the pumps get the water warm and the tank has a completely inclosed hood so it gets into the mid 80s. The fish are just more active and show more agression when this happens I just feed them more and do larger or more water changes.

Back
Top Bottom