Setting up Fresh Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk315

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone new to the board and to having fish. I just set up a 36 gal fresh water tank. I have 3 serpai tetra in there now and I think I'm going to get 2 more today since I've read they like to be in schools of at least 5.

It seems like a lot of info I read about tanks is so different for instance some say feed the fish 2x a day some say 1x every other day. Some say clean the tank 1x a month some say 1x a week. Its starting to get really frusterating. Does anyone know when I can start adding more fish to the tank? I ordered a water testing kit so I can figure it out. And how many fish can I fit in this tank comfortably? I'd like to set it up with maybe 6 more smaller fish like the tetra, a dwarf cichlid and an algae eater. Is this too many? Thanks for your help guys.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

First thing I recommend if you read up on the article in the link below if you haven't already on cycling.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

How old is your tank? If it's within a month then I'm assuming it's still cycling then I suggest you hold off on adding any more fish until you establish your Beneficial Bacteria. While you're cycling ... constant tank maintenance like PWC's and gravel vacs will be necessary to keep ammo / nitrites down to about zero ppm. Once your tank is "established" a weekly 25% - PWC with a gravel vac is all that's minimally needed ... you can do up to 50% PWC.

Filter maintenance should require you rinsing the filter media with tank water ... NOT tap water. Don't replace the filter media until it's literally falling apart ..despite what the instructions on the box say. When it is time to replace the media, use the old to "seed bacteria" to the new. ALWAYS keep filter media wet ... if it dries there goes your BB. The filter housing can be rinsed with tap then dry.

In this hobby it's all about the BB ... without them ... your stock are always in danger of ammonia / nitrite poisoning. Once you've established BB ... you can then safely increase your stock ... even go out of town for a few days and come back to healthy fish.

As for feeding ... I used to do 2x a day everyday ... now I do 1x 5 days a week .. no loss of life due to lack of food. I'd say start them off at 1x 5 days a week. Fish can go days without eating ... so no worries about starving them ... and yes fish ALWAYS look like their hungry ... LOL.

It hasn't even been a week yet since I started the tank. I'm waiting for the test kit to come because the fish store sold out on them. It should be here Tuesday. But I just did a %15 PWC, and added 2 more serpa tetra, they seem more relaxed now with 5.

Is that too many fish/a bad combo to have in a 36gal. tank? 6 more smaller fish like the tetra, a dwarf cichlid and an algae eater?

Back
Top Bottom