Setting up my new Salt Water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the picture on the right is def a ro/di unit...aka what you use to make water for the tank. You should probably check the filters...i dont think they need to be changed too often but who knows how long the previous owner has had them going

Could you elaborate on this a bit? How do I make water for the tank?...Mixing Saltwater with tap water to a proper salinity suffice as making water for the tank? Yee! All the reading I've been doing lately has me all confused!...but it makes more sense every day!

Thanks KMS907 for your reply I really do appreciate any help I can get.

Raudel

Reef aquariums

Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.

I just copy and pasted this from wiki but this is why its used. If you just type in reverse osmosis to wiki you'll get more info. My dad hooked ours up so i dont know much about hooking it up but your tap water flows into the ro/di unit through a small tube and goes through all the filters and such and then comes out through another small tube with the water you'll use in the tank...you do have to add salt still of course

Reef aquariums

Many reef aquarium keepers use reverse osmosis systems for their artificial mixture of seawater. Ordinary tap water can often contain excessive chlorine, chloramines, copper, nitrogen, phosphates, silicates, or many other chemicals detrimental to the sensitive organisms in a reef environment. Contaminants such as nitrogen compounds and phosphates can lead to excessive, and unwanted, algae growth. An effective combination of both reverse osmosis and deionization (RO/DI) is the most popular among reef aquarium keepers, and is preferred above other water purification processes due to the low cost of ownership and minimal operating costs. Where chlorine and chloramines are found in the water, carbon filtration is needed before the membrane, as the common residential membrane used by reef keepers does not cope with these compounds.

I just copy and pasted this from wiki but this is why its used. If you just type in reverse osmosis to wiki you'll get more info. My dad hooked ours up so i dont know much about hooking it up but your tap water flows into the ro/di unit through a small tube and goes through all the filters and such and then comes out through another small tube with the water you'll use in the tank...you do have to add salt still of course

Makes perfect sense. thanks a bunch!

I'm attaching a photo of all the live rocks I bought today. Who can guess How much I payed for them? Along with how much I should've payed. They are 195lbs of Fiji Live Rock.

Raudel

Attachments

• IMAG0716.jpg
    IMAG0716.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 61
You want to use RODI (Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionized) water if possible. A properly funtioning RO uniit will remove 98% of the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water. My tap water is 185 - 215 tds so my RO unit brings it down to under 3 on the tds meter. The DI filter then removes the rest giving me 0 tds water for mixing my salt. RO alone is better than tap.

I use a garden hose apapter on my kitchen faucet (got it at Ace hardware), the a garden hose to 1/4" adapter to connect the water line to the RODI unit.

Live rock runs from aprox $3/pound to $9+/pound depending on where you get it and whether it is cured or fresh.

You want to use RODI (Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionized) water if possible. A properly funtioning RO uniit will remove 98% of the TDS (total dissolved solids) from tap water. My tap water is 185 - 215 tds so my RO unit brings it down to under 3 on the tds meter. The DI filter then removes the rest giving me 0 tds water for mixing my salt. RO alone is better than tap.

I use a garden hose apapter on my kitchen faucet (got it at Ace hardware), the a garden hose to 1/4" adapter to connect the water line to the RODI unit.

Live rock runs from aprox $3/pound to $9+/pound depending on where you get it and whether it is cured or fresh.

Thanks for the info! It's very helpfull. I'll be sure to use the RO/DI unit to use for my tank.

I bout the 200 pounds of Fiji LiveRock for 300.

Raudel

Deals!!!!!!

Where are you finding all of these deals at. That tank setup is a STEAL. There should be a crime for what you got and that price. Welcome to the SW family and hope you enjoy. I would say be ready to pay a lot up front, but looks like you are already taken care of in that aspect. Hope you post more photos on the progress of the SW build.

Where are you finding all of these deals at. That tank setup is a STEAL. There should be a crime for what you got and that price. Welcome to the SW family and hope you enjoy. I would say be ready to pay a lot up front, but looks like you are already taken care of in that aspect. Hope you post more photos on the progress of the SW build.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Craglist.org has been my friend!!! People seem to fail at the SW attempt and put the tanks up for sell. But I contact them and offer quite less from what they wanted. The guy that sold me the live rock also gave a way to me Live sand and crushed coral, not as part of the deal but as a good gesture, I'll be picking that up today I think.

craiglist baby!!! I'm from the central valley, and I find several aquarium purchase options in the Modesto to Fresno areas. I'll be stuck to craiglist for any new items I need. and will only buy at the store when craiglist fails me for too long.

Raudel

Sump Exchange

Hi All,

Just wanted to mention that I exchanged my sump with a sump/skimmer setup with submersible pumps. Someone needed a fresh water setup with bio balls and could make use of my sump, and in exchange I took his sump/skimmer for my tank.

Check out the PHOTOS. First two are the Original Sump. Second two are the new sump with skimmer.

Next post will contain another item recently purchased.

Raudel

Attachments

• IMAG0662.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0664.jpg
    IMAG0664.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0739.jpg
    IMAG0739.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0740.jpg
    IMAG0740.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 72
UV Sterilizer

Hi All,

I bought this UV Sterilizer for $30 dollars. Pictures Attached.

Any advice? I will begin with Live Rock and I don't want to kill any food supplies.
I think the Sterilizer is the white cilinder, what is the black cilinder, and how do I use the meter, what should my default settings be for the tank setup I desire with a FOWLER tank. Corrals in the future.

Raudel

Attachments

• IMAG0735.jpg
    IMAG0735.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG0736.jpg
    IMAG0736.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0737.jpg
    IMAG0737.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0738.jpg
    IMAG0738.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 56
In addition to my previous Post.

Would someone look at my Sump/skimmer unit and let me know if it's a good setup? I've read of sumps that have bio balls, skimmers, refugium, and more...should i look into making my sump more usefull? how?

could someone sketch/design the perfect sump unit with dimensions on all items inside a sump? I'll find it or make it myself if I have to. The design needs to be for a 250 gallon FOWLER tank with full reef in the plans.

Raudel

I'm not really an expert on sump/skimmers or uv sterilizers sorry! But i do know that a UV sterilizer basically kills microscopic organisms in the water. This can be good and bad...it will kill parasites which is great but will also kill all bacteria the good and the bad which is not so great.... i think (but am def not sure) that people who do use UV sterilizers don't run them 24/7. It would probably be awesome to use in a qt tank. Also im told most of the good bacteria stays in the rock and sand so maybe you could run it 24/7 with no worries about losing the good bacteria? Hopefully someone with better knowledge replies haha sorry!

I'm not really an expert on sump/skimmers or uv sterilizers sorry! But i do know that a UV sterilizer basically kills microscopic organisms in the water. This can be good and bad...it will kill parasites which is great but will also kill all bacteria the good and the bad which is not so great.... i think (but am def not sure) that people who do use UV sterilizers don't run them 24/7. It would probably be awesome to use in a qt tank. Also im told most of the good bacteria stays in the rock and sand so maybe you could run it 24/7 with no worries about losing the good bacteria? Hopefully someone with better knowledge replies haha sorry!

Thanks for your reply kms907. Does anyone else have any inputs?

Raudel

It can't cure Ich. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. :) Good bacteria lives in and on Live Rock. That's why the more pourus the rock is, the better, so there is more places for that good bacteria to live. There is very little water bourne good bacteria so don't worry about the UV setriliser kill any. :)

Would someone look at my Sump/skimmer unit and let me know if it's a good setup? I've read of sumps that have bio balls, skimmers, refugium, and more...should i look into making my sump more usefull? how?

could someone sketch/design the perfect sump unit with dimensions on all items inside a sump? I'll find it or make it myself if I have to. The design needs to be for a 250 gallon FOWLER tank with full reef in the plans.

Raudel

Hey check out melevsreef.com he has a lot of sump designs in many different sizes. I'm designing one of my own after one of his prototypes.

Raudel

Also, here are some videos that may aid in some ideas:
YouTube - Episode 80 pt 5,The 500 Gallon Aquarium, LA Fishguys
YouTube - SW Rebuild - Part 15 - Refugium and Copepods
YouTube - SW Rebuild - Part 6 - Connecting the Pump

IMO, all of tickleyourbrain and most of lafishguys videos are very informational. Hope this helps.

It can't cure Ich. Don't believe anyone that tells you otherwise. :) Good bacteria lives in and on Live Rock. That's why the more pourus the rock is, the better, so there is more places for that good bacteria to live. There is very little water bourne good bacteria so don't worry about the UV setriliser kill any. :)

Thank you for this clarification!!!! I have a good 195lbs of Pourus Live rock, so I'll include the UV sterilizer into my system. Thanks a bunch.

Raudel

New Question,

I have the 195lb pounds of Live Rock in my 55 gallon Hexagon Tank. I have it with a specific gravity of 1.022

Will the Rocks stay live if I just keep the rock in the salt water at that specific gravity while using power heads to simply cycle the water around? (My Rock is growing a lot of green algae) I sometimes keep the light on, some days I turn the light off.

Would someone let me know what I should do to keep things healthy with my rocks? I'm not going to introduce those rocks in my display tank any time soon.

- Should I feed my LR? What to feed?
- Should I install a heater?
- Should I keep a specific Gravity?
- Lighting?

Remember, I'm simply storing this Live Rock for later use and would like to keep it healthy and Alive for when my display tank is ready.

Last question:

- Should I use Live Sand? or should I simply buy the Aragonite Sand sold in pet stores? I've read contradicting articles and would like to know what is best for my aquarium. Does Live sand contain Aragonite? I get the feeling that Many get live sand fromthe ocean and that is what live sand is considered. Others buy Aragonite Sand from the store which helps with the PH of the water. If I buy Aragonite Sand, will it become Live Aragonite Sand some day?

Raudel

Back
Top Bottom