setting up new tank soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long should i let my 180 gallon freshwater with 2 Fluval fx5's cycle for? I was thinking at least a week??

So i could go out n buy ammonia for the Fluval fx5 n throw that in there n it should help the process, along with air stones, rocks etc?

Please read the link I posted- it explains alot! If you are planning a fishless cycle, you will need to add a source of ammonia to your tank to feed & grow your good bacteria. Pure ammonia is the cleanest & most precise way to go. You will need to find ammonia lists its only ingredients as ammonium hydroxide & water. Check out the Ace Hardware store locator to see if theres one in your area. The Ace Hardware 10% Janitorial Strength Ammonia is great stuff. Dollar Tree stores usually carry usuable ammonia as well as a few other places (and Amazon). Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

I have an Ace hardware right around the corner from me! Haha.. just buy a bottle n put it in the tank?? I have time but not 4-6 weeks time haha hoe long do u think it would take with the ammonia in there??

Do you have access to any cycled media? This is the quickest way to jumpstart & speed up a cycle. Heres a link to the ammonia calculator- enter your tank size & change the 'ppm' to 4. The Ace stuff is 10%. It will give the exact amount of ammonia needed to start your cycle.

Calculator

Cycled media as in established filter?? I have 1 Fluval fx5 hooked up to my 55 right now that im gonna be using on the 180

A couple of bottles? Nope, 29 mls is only about about 6 teaspoons. Thats measuring teaspoons you use in the kitchen not just a regular 'teaspoon'. Or use a 5 or 10ml syringe that most pharmacies will give you for free if you want precise ml measurements. Using your fluval from a cycled tank will make a big difference. :)

I suck with measurements sometimes lol ok so 1 bottle of ace ammonia and hook up the Fluval that's in use now and I should be ready to go... will it matter if the media in the other Fluval is all new??

The cycled fluval will help seed the new filter & the tank so no worries! It wont happen overnight though! :)

You have an API test kit, right? Lets see what happens & how quickly your tank establishes itself. No guarentees on a week though because its a much bigger tank than a 55g. Keep us posted!

Alright, ill let you know, won't be for a few weeks tho as I'm waiting until I move at the end of the month then I'm setting up everything, just wanna get all the info I can beforehand! Thank you tho! You've been a big help!

Back
Top Bottom