Severum ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I just got a gold red streak severum today for my 75 gallon planted tank. The severum has been in the tank for about 2 hours. I've been watching it, and it looks like it has some white spots. A couple spots on its body, but mostly on the fins. I've attached a picture, and can try to get some more pics soon. Does this look like ich?

The tank is at 80 degrees F. The severum seems to be acting pretty normal, and is exploring the tank. She has already munched on some of my java moss. I've never had a fish with ich before, so I'm not sure if this is it or not. I'll try to get some better quality pics soon.

Attachments

• 1418605884825.jpg
    1418605884825.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 150
Are they raised like salt crystals? Looks like coloring of the fins. Not familiar with severum but my Bolivians have iridescent coloring on their fins..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, they do look slightly raised. Should I start slowly raising the temperature?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's another pic of him/her. Notice the white spots on her dorsal fin

Attachments

• 1418611779635.jpg
    1418611779635.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 282
Ya raise temps and add aquarium salt, if things get bad turn off lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My current stock is:
6 Cherry barbs,
10 Harlequin Rasboras,
21 Tiger Barbs,
6 Otocinclus,
5 Kuhli Loaches,
1 Rainbow shark,
and the severum.
With my Kuhlis and my live plants, I don't think adding salt would be the best idea. I know to slowly raise the temperature so it doesn't shock the fish. I have read that temps above 86 F will kill ich. How high should I raise the temperature, given the fish I have?

86 is all you need. You can lower your water level to create surface agitation. I did only this for 2 weeks and no more ich :)

Since you just added the fish - are you sure that they are not air bubbles? I have to think that you would have seen such spots on the fish at the store. Were they?

I could be wrong here. Wouldn't this be a bad choice for a planted community? Arnt they mean? Like wet pet style?? I'd take the fish back bud.. no offense. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Severums are one of the more docile cichlids, but they are still cichlids. However,they will eat smaller fish that fit into their mouths, and they get quite large.

She still has the spots today. Here's a pic I took a few minutes ago. You can kind of see the spots on her dorsal and tail fin.
I did my research before I got the severum, and I think she'll be able to hold her own with the tank mates.
Should I bring her back to the pet store if she has ich?

Attachments

• 1418657012844.jpg
    1418657012844.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 123
I could be wrong here. Wouldn't this be a bad choice for a planted community? Arnt they mean? Like wet pet style?? I'd take the fish back bud.. no offense. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not supper mean

Severums are one of the more docile cichlids, but they are still cichlids. However,they will eat smaller fish that fit into their mouths, and they get quite large.

And not a good choice if you like your plants. Will most likely eat them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I know the severum might eat my plants. I read that feeding cucumber might help curb its plant munching tendencies, so I'm going to try that.
What I'm worried about is whether it has ich or not. I'm going to call the LFS later.

Update:
I have confirmed that the severum does indeed have ich. I have started raising the temperature on my tank. I have the Fluval M300 heater for my 75 gallon, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach 86 F. I'm at about 80 degrees right now. The highest I've been able to get it was about 83. Would it help if I got another heater for the other side of the tank?
:thanks:
-fishdude25

Hey fishdude!
It does look like ich to me. I would raise the temp to 86 degrees. I have used salt with the loaches but have no experience with plants. Raising the temp will accelerate the ich life cycle. It will also make your fish more active.
It sounds like you have done your research before purchasing this guy. I have always liked severums! If he does have ich, you can always take him back, however you will still need to treat your whole tank.

Yeah, I figured I would keep the severum because I have to treat the whole tank anyway.
The tank is sitting at 80 degrees with the heater cranked up to maximum. I've decided to get another heater. Would you guys recommend I get another identical heater (the Fluval M300), or a different one?

Back
Top Bottom