Severum not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djhamp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125 gal tank with SA fish, tank has been going for 3 months or so.
Most of the fish are small but I bought 2 large (6") orange severums from a local guy 3-4 weeks ago, they look great. I never see one of them eat, it will go up to food as its floating by but not take it in. The other one is eating fine. This pair is a little shy but not overly so, they are the largest fish in the tank. I don't see anything harassing them at all.

I have tried various types of food, NLS flakes, different size pellets to no avail. I put some blood worms in once and the one went crazy eating them but the other ignored them. I am getting worried!

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 213
Thats a really nice setup you have there. Do you know what the previous owner was feeding them?
My red spots eat like pigs They even eat from my hand. May be try not feeding for a day or 2 and see if he will eat then. He may just be finding scraps when you arent looking. Does he look like hes not eating or does he look the same as the other 1?

If he looks the same weight and stuff as the other he is eating and somehow your just missing it. He has to have eaten in 2-3 weeks or I'm pretty sure the Sev would be dead...

Thanks - I feel better. They are the stars of the tank so far. They do look very similar, I am hoping they are a pair - they stick together most of the time.

Here's another picture, and my earthmover (?)

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 115
If your worried you could buy a plant that is cheep. Maybe anacharis. But sev's love to eat plants. I'd always but some about once a month for my Raspberry head Sev's. Just a thought

That's a good idea (plants), I tried some raw cucumber the other day and they both went for that. I have a couple of moss balls in there but none of the fish seem to notice those much.

Hi,
What are you feeding them? I used to have severums in my big tank and sometimes mine would refuse to eat his cichlid pellets untill I have him a frozen snack. After I would give him some brine shrimp of blood worms he would eat his pellets again. Little stinkers. If they are used to getting some frozen/fresh foods than you may want to give that a try. Mine were all hogs though, even when they would turn their nose up on pellets they would devour the worms then devour their pellets. Hope that helps.

Looks like your sevs are doing fine. I am guessing one is just more of a pig than the other. Like others said the one that isn't eating is most likely just scavenging when you aren't looking. You have a beautiful set up.

Back
Top Bottom