severum w/ angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingogirl66

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 gallon planted aquarium where I house 2 Angels,serpae tetras, and some neons,also "benny" my pleco. :D , I have been doing some research on the Severums a "peaceful fish" from what I have read. I have done enough research but I cannot find how compatible they are with Angels....I do not want to place my angels in jeopardy because I lost my favorite one that I had had for a couple of years due to my error.

So if anyone out there knows anything about the compatability please let me know....

Also, I would like to send GREAT THANKS to all that have helped me in the past.

Severums are normally peaceful (as far as cichlids go), but I've seen a few that were absolute terrors.

Your 90 gallon would probably be okay to keep sevs and angels in, although breeding issues/aggression could come into play and cause trouble.

Oops- I missed that part of the post. Yep- sevs can make quick work of just about everything except java fern. Think of them as a lawn mower with fins!;)

My severum will even eat java fern. I've tried to keep hardy plants with him on several occasions and never had any luck with that. In my personal experience with my severum (having grown him out from a 1 1/2 inch baby to a 7 inch terror), I would not advise keeping one with angels. You sound like you really care about your angels and don't want to take any risks with their safety, so it may be a good idea for you to err on the side of caution on this one. I used to keep my severum with a naughty parrot cichlid, and they were always fine together until one day when I found the parrot hiding upside down under a log, badly beaten and stressed. I had to rehome the parrot immediately, since the severum had decided that my entire 55 gallon was now his territory. Fortunately parrot cichlids are extremely tough fish, and with some Melafix and pwc's mine bounced back to normal. As we all know, angels are more fragile than that, and I'm not sure an angel would survive a similar attack. Now my severum lives with a female convict and the most aggressive firemouth I've ever seen, and things are fine for the most part.

Of course, others will have experiences that differ widely from mine, but I wouldn't recommend it even in a 90 gallon. Although much larger than my 55, it is still a 4 foot tank.

i had a severum that was about 3 inches big kill 4 full grown angelfish within 2 hrs...

Back
Top Bottom