Shane's 20 gallon Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That`s some good wattage and if these are T5`s then that makes them pretty good. I would start off with some hardy soft or LPS corals and you have plenty of light for them. How about a small brain coral on the sand and a small bubble coral on the rock? Some good mushrooms would be good also.

Melosu, is brain and mushrooms good corals to start with the bare tank like FOWLR?

i kinda figured i couldnt go with hard corals, im wanting to go with lots of colors so im thinking about a mushroom or two and some zoas.

there are so many corals to choose from, its hard to decide what would look good in my tank, thanks for the help!

No Problem I am going thru the same thing right now which Coral would I want first and right now I am leaning towards a Frogspawn coral for my first coral then some Zoo's then Rics. Then I'll go with some SPS corals. can't wait. :)

Melosu, is brain and mushrooms good corals to start with the bare tank like FOWLR?

They should do OK. The brain coral likes being on the sand. The mushrooms like LR and sand. Yes when you are ready to go with a reef tank they will be OK.

Thank you all for the great information, i really like the info on placement of the corals. I really love the open brains but thought i wouldn't be able to keep them. I'm going to start researching them! I'm excited at all the possibilities. off to the search tool i goooo

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again!

Go for some Rics and maybe some Acans they come in great colors and really brighten aquariums.

which test kits do i need to get now that im thinking nano reef? I do weekly pwc's with ro/di and am a firm believer in testing my water.

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph

calcium and magnesium are optional once you get going on a reef. That won't be necessary until you get a decent amount of LPS and SPS though. Also make sure you have a refractometer for testing your SG

Zoanthids and mushrooms are your best be to cover a bunch of surface area quickly with really no work. Lots of people with established tanks will often whack you off small bits of zoas as long as you pay then for shipping.

Green star and blue star polyps are another easy choice for covering a lot of area, but be careful, if you dont watch them they can run rampant with growth.

Ricordias are really nice but often can be fairly expensive for the size, and even more expensive to get the super bright ones.

I wouldnt suggest Acans just yet, see how some of the hardy SPS corals do like previously mentioned first. You will be able to sustain them under your current lighting but you will definitaly have to supplement them with target feeding and they will most likely lose a lot of their vibrant colors, which is really the best reason to get them.

I have limited knowledge of the SPS world, but i had good luck with Green Bali Slimer under similar conditions. The guy who sold it to me said it was the hardiest strand he had come into contact with, lasted him 10+ years and through 2 tank crashes. When you get to the point where your willing to try it, if you pay for shipping i will send you a small frag to try out.
img_935882_0_2ff82831354e4a86416c70f27f96bf95.jpg

Green stick looking one left of middle. (dont mind the algae..all the frags have been cleaned since then :cool:)

that would be awesome, I would love to try out the Green Bali Slimer, It sounds perfect. Thank you so much for all the great information. I will spend the day researching your suggestions.

(if anyone is fragging mushrooms and zoas im paying shipping)

I am trying to avoid unrealistic corals. I know there is a limit to what i should stock, so i will start out with the typical corals. there are some beautiful ones to choose from.

I am into colors, as i expect most are. BUT i care for the welfare of the animals far more than my desire to collect.

i saw earlier u sed u like green and yellow. you may wanna try a yellow colony polysp. there very common and look nice

Thanks a bunch! Its exciting to have my own tank. I am starting out slow and having a ball. Im guilty, i run my lights too long

img_938769_0_e2e9fab5f72b7b6cd4d83d54a97adda0.jpg

I have this nasty habit of running the lights too long. I have some brown algae starting to show up, so I need to adjust the lights. I have one of those dual timer powerstrips so i can set the 10k and blue bulbs independently. I have some Ricordea and some Polyps frags.

Question

How many hours do the corals require full light (96 watts)?

i have set 10k to 8 hours and the Actinic to 6 hours and think that may take care of the problem.

My clowns are gaining weight and are free of cycts. They have paired up and seem happy given the situation. Its been two weeks and i havent seen any cycts.

My tank seems to be moving along, water readings are stable. My cleanup crew is active and my cleaner shrimp is more comfortable now and ventures out of the cave more and more. I make sure he gets enough to eat. I feed a tiny amount of blood worms, selcon and garlic extreme.

Yea, 8 hours is pretty much the standard. you may consider turning your actinics on earlier and do like

30 min actinic
7 hours Both
30 min actinic

It kind of simulates a natural sunrise in lighting intensity.

Back
Top Bottom