Shane's 20 gallon Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well it seems the lighting was the problem. My CUC has tanken care of the majority of the algae and the LR is looking good again. thank you for your advice!

QT update

Although my water tests perfect, one of my clowns died. They were both acting normally and both have fed normally. I checked and rechecked my water and everything is perfect. No evidence of ich on either fish and the remaining one is the largest. She's healthy and feeds just fine. The one that died was less active but looked totally normal. I just though it was their nature.

Since i have to QT incoming fish, how long should i wait to replace the male? I enjoy seeing a pair of clowns interact and wonder when an appropriate time to introduce a new male would be.

I am battling red algae (cyno) and im out of ideas

I do PWC's but still have some phosphates. I clean the only sponge i have in my aquaclear and gave a good cleaning yesterday with my 5g change and i woke up today to more red algae on my sand. I feed the tank very little, mainly frozen blood worms with selcon, i only have one clown and one cleaner shrimp. Sometimes i add flake but not very much.

(ro/di tests 0 tds and phosphates)
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates
1 phosphate
sg 1.025
temp 78
lighting 6 hours a day

Hi Shane,

Sorry about the loss of one of your clowns, I don't know what happened with the red algae, I hope you get it resolved soon. Btw I've become like u, turning my tank into reef as well..

Yes i've employed several methods including reducing feeding amount, reduced light periods and i do weekly pwc's. I will reread them just to make sure i havent missed anything though.

are there any fish out there that are natural "friends" with false clowns? I cannot decide on a reef safe third fish that will fit in. anyone have any suggestions?

Hey Shane,

My firefish seems to be hanging out with my clown fish really well, they always side by side, either one on the top, the other in the bottom but always on the same side, sometimes I'll see my clownfish wondering around but it will always go back to the firefish :)

Ok ive tested the water change water and no phosphates in there. Since i am feeding frozen bloodworms, i assume im getting phosphates from there. Selcon says it doesnt contain any. I do weekly pwc's.

I am searching for a fuel source, its driving me nuts.

Thanks for the fish suggestion Fishpop and Bawel , i was actually thinking about those two when you replied

img_946862_0_4c724f7ca546cf080ecd944e90b03400.jpg

I figured i would post a pic since im always complaining about something here is something positive.

deffinately! As soon as I understand corals better i will be adding more. I am clueless when it comes to aquascaping with corals. I am still trying to figure out what some good additions would be. My number one rule is no live food. As long as rule number one isnt broken i'm for it. I would love to hear some suggestions if you have any

hey bawel,

what are some of the corals you bought? im looking for more after i finish stocking the tank. I am adding another o clown and a royal gramma later today.

Hey Shane,

I actually only have Green Striped Mushroom, the Dotted/Spotted Mushroom, the Purple/Lavender Ricordea, and Candy Cane. I always look for easy keeping, yet still some colors :) but I bought them in little frags cause I still want to see if they will survive and they're thriving now. Oh I got a Hawaiian Feather Duster too.

At the next feeding i will use the thaw water and test it for phosphates and that way i will know for sure. thanks a bunch

Bawel, Ohh nice. Don't you just love getting frags? Hope to see some pictures soon (hint hint)

Back
Top Bottom