Shipping aquarium supplies and fish to Canada? :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I complain a lot about my lfs and how overpriced everything is... Our pet store once got a german blue ram and charged $47 because its "so rare" to get them... before I knew about other stores selling them for like $8, I had no idea they were over priced. Thankfully I didn't buy one but anyways...
Is shipping fish from online stores ok? Like along with being overpriced,my lfs also dont get many fish, and take Terrible care of the ones they have!
Are there any good websites where people can buy fish online, and ship to Canada? or Canadian websites? I found one called Canadian Aquatics, but they don't have what I'm looking for (too poor to order now anyways)
And how do people ship live plants/fish? can they be sent from the US safely without the animal or plant dying?
any info or sites would be great, thanks :D

Try www.bigalsonline/ca
I get my supplies there and if you spend over $35.00 you get free shipping. I also am in BC, Nanaimo to be exact. There is a small privately owned fish store here called `MY FISH TANK`where I get my fish. I have never lost one due to stress or anything. He says that being small his reputation is at stake and so he only sells happy healthy fish. He charges more then the Big Box Stores but it is worth it. I am not sure if he ships fish or not but you could google him and try sending an email to see if he is interested.
Good luck and happy hunting.

So I complain a lot about my lfs and how overpriced everything is... Our pet store once got a german blue ram and charged $47 because its "so rare" to get them... before I knew about other stores selling them for like $8, I had no idea they were over priced. Thankfully I didn't buy one but anyways...
Is shipping fish from online stores ok? Like along with being overpriced,my lfs also dont get many fish, and take Terrible care of the ones they have!
Are there any good websites where people can buy fish online, and ship to Canada? or Canadian websites? I found one called Canadian Aquatics, but they don't have what I'm looking for (too poor to order now anyways)
And how do people ship live plants/fish? can they be sent from the US safely without the animal or plant dying?
any info or sites would be great, thanks :D

Love your avatar, I have a pom/eskie and a pom/schipperke. :D

Unfortunately, IMO it will be more trouble than it is worth for you to purchase any livestock from the US. HN1 once shipped a bag of shrimp to Canada and, although they arrived alive, it took over a week for them to get through customs and show up to the buyer. Cherry shrimp tend to be excellent shippers- with fish, it is unlikely that any would have survived.

HN1 tells me that it's possible for you to get them quicker if you set it up with Customs. We do not have experience with that so I can't elaborate.

Hope this helps!

How cute! I couldn't quite tell from the pic if yours was a large Pom or a small Eskie, or a mix of both! :D

Back
Top Bottom