Shipping live fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all you breeders/sellers. How difficult is it to ship live fish? I have a few fish that have not turned out to be what the lfs said they were. I have put a LOT of effort into creating the exact tank I want, and a few of the fish are simply not it. BUT they are healthy, beautiful, happy fish. In order to turn them back into an lfs I have to drive them almost 2 hours away. The local lfs will not take fish in. I'd like to give them away to someone that would enjoy them, if they will pay for shipping, but I don't want anyone receiving DOAs.

If you're concerned with shipping, why don't you try giving them away on craigslist? Around here, giving away fish is easier than selling a new car for $5.

Not so around here. I posted them, but I don't have a whole lot of optimism about it. I had cichlids on CL for three weeks. :(

Shipping isn't difficult if you have the proper supplies. Smaller fish go well in breather bags, larger, spiny fish like cichlds of pleco's are better shipped in poly bags. (Less likely to punch holes through poly bags with their spines.) The shipping method depends on the destination. Check the UPS page for delivery times, sometimes regular Ground will have the package there the following day for a lot less $$ than Express Mail through the USPS. On the other hand, Express Mail is usually less expensive for longer distances.
Small fish in breather bags are fine shipped Priority Mail or similar, 2-3 days. If you're using poly bags and don't have access to pure O2 for bagging it's not a good idea to pack more than 1 fish per bag for 2 days transit time.
Heat pack/s and styro insulation are necessary for shipping in cold weather, (unless the temps are above 50) but it's actually easier on the fish than shipping them when the temps are in the 80's or higher.

Back
Top Bottom