Shocking Scene at PetSmart fish department

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicalfishmama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I went into my local PetSmart store today to pick up some supplies and I heard a scream, this litte girl by the live fish witnessed the brutality of a bunch of Bala Sharks(I heard they're really a type of minnow) killing a Gold Gourami by the time the manager got there the gourami had been bitten or chewed in half and no longer had eyes! I just thought this was something interesting I'd share with u all, Happy Fishkeeping and Happy Easter!

He may have been dying already or they were super hungry. Not a normal scene but when you have small tanks, no cover and LOTS of fish, this stuff happens. And not just at Petsmart. Any store this could happen. Our Balas were well fed, I fed them twice daily when I worked my local Petsmart. Flake in the morning and frozen at night. Plus our Gouramis were all in other tanks. Our Balas were alone or only with fast fish.

You can always ask for the Pet Dept. Manager and ask that the Gouramis be separated from the Balas.

BUT sometimes customers pull stuff also. We had boys dumping Bettas in our Cichlid tanks !!! If I could have caught them and beaten them I would have. :mad: Also rarely Fish sometimes jump into other tanks.

Stuff happens. Sorry the kid was traumatized. :(

yeah,I feel bad for the kid,I don't think she wanted a pet fish anymore. The poor Gold Gourami that was killed was the brother of my new fish Pheonix that I bought yesterday.

Mmmmh. When a fish get sick other fish wil know that. And kill it before they get sick. But not a good idee for a lfs. Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom