Should i adopt these fish? PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi
My friend is getting rid of his tank and has asked me if I will take his fish. They are:
A rainbowfish (think its a boesemans but not 100%)
2 rams
Couple of tetra
A cherry barb

My 47 gallon tank is not yet cycled. I have a smaller tank that I think is fully stocked. What should I do?

Thanks

It's a 10 gallon with 4 harlequin Rasboras
2 peppered corys 2 sailfin mollies 2 zebra loaches and 1 oto

I no it is massively overstocked but got some bad advice from my lfs
That's why I want to cycle my 47 quickly

BTW his is a 10 gallon tank too

Take his fish and cycle the 47 out with them.
I never lose fish in the cycle.
If you really want to jumpstart the cycle use gravel from the other tank or even filter equipment.

If you use prime and do a daily water change on your 47 gallon i cant see a 'HUGE PROBLEM' to get those fish and put there.
Fish in cycle wont be a fail if you do things right.

If you can't get prime in the uk...they have more probles then I can imagine.

You don't want to do a daily water change unless it's really small you'll be taking away from your BB that your trying to grow try to find some refrigerated bacteria from a pet store or something it works super good if you need to get fish in pretty quickly

fishyperson3010 said:
I can't really do daily water changes as I really don't have time during the week and can you get prime in the uk

Yes you can get prime over here. I've ordered it from seapets.co.uk

If you fish in cycle with the rams, you'll probably loose them, prime or not. They're really sensitive to ammonia. I would consider moving the mollies to the 47 and putting the rams in the 10 as a temporary home until your bigger tank is cycled. Mollies are MUCH tougher than rams.

I agree with aqua_chem. Move the sensitive fish like the rams to the cycled tank and the hardier ones to the 47 with some gravel and some filter media to cycle.
No matter what you are going to have to find time to test and change water. If you can not do this you will have to return the fish to your LFS.

The saying goes that you should only have an inch of fish for every gallon Thay the tank is but we all know that if you take good enough care if your tank that you can push thwarting limits buy I agree that it might not hurt for you to cycle you bigger tank with the friend fish. But also I like the idea of using gravel and even filtration system from the established tank to get the larger one going........ Just a thought

fishyperson3010 said:
The filter pad in my smaller tank is bigger than the filter pads in my larger filter

Should I cut a piece off of the smaller one and put it in the bigger one

Yes, that would work great

Either that or use the rocks from the more established tank Nd put them in the less established tank. This might be eSier than cutting up your filters but haveing said that you can probably do both and it will work out for the best

Back
Top Bottom