Should I change the light on my refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon reef with a 40 gallon sump/refugium. I am using a normal flourescent tank light over it. I have sand, rubble and cheato in there. I hear people talk about their cheato growing like crazy. Mine hasnt grown in the month that its been in there. Do I need a better light for it to grow?

I have a macro light over my sump, I believe it's 25 watts and just a basic CF bulb. I havent noticed any significant growth of my macro algae though. :-( Most people just use a squiggly bulb from home depot and they do fine.

carey said:
I have a macro light over my sump, I believe it's 25 watts and just a basic CF bulb. I havent noticed any significant growth of my macro algae though. :-( Most people just use a squiggly bulb from home depot and they do fine.

From growing other "plants" ;) with cfls I know that you can get a large range of lumens and Kelvin ratings from what would seem to be the exact same bulb..I have also been having this problem with my chaeto though but I do not know the proper lumens and K needed for chaeto so if someone would chime in with that information then we could solve this problem that we seem to all have lol

Back
Top Bottom