Should I deploy my new Aquaclear 110?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought another Aquaclear 110 as a spare for my 90 gallon. Should I have it running with my other 110 to have double filtration. I keep goldfish.

If wouldn't hurt. Plus if something happened to one of the filters you don't have to worry about having to cycle the whole tank again if for some reason you couldn't keep the filter media

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A single 110 is inadequate for goldfish in a 90 gal (depending on stocking). I am a firm believer in always running 2 filters when you can.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do it now! (Arnold voice)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree, install it and give the bacteria time to establish in it. It takes several weeks for the bacteria to fully establish in a new filter.

Once it's established remember to never clean both filters at the same time, I aim for a week in between (or at least several days). Also don't replace more than a single stage at a time (sponge, charcoal/ammo-loc, biomedia). Another tempting thing is to scrub down the filter housing while the media is out.... don't, you're only disturbing the bacteria!

Back
Top Bottom