Should I get a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I got my bonus today, so now I'm seriously thinking about getting a new filter for my 55 gallon. I currently have a Penguin Biowheel 350, and I've had a lot of problems with cloudy water. I've tired everything (treatments, changing the filters more often, feeding less, lighting less) to no avail, so I'm hoping a more powerful filter might do the trick.

Here is what I'm looking at: Eheim Canister Filter

I have a few questions:

I read on a few sites that people use this in addition to a hang on filter. Is this necessary or could I simply use the canister filter? I don't want my monthly maintenance bill to get too high because of media replacements!

I read that one of the best things about these filters are how they can be customized to meet your filtering needs. I guess I don't really know what my filtering needs are! I mean, I have cloudy water (more than likely bacterial bloom) but that's about it. I suppose I just want to provide my fish with the best water possible. Is this what I should be buying?

I've also heard a lot about these Diatom filters. I know you're not supposed to use them all of the time, but would it be better for me to continue using the Biowheel and just buy a Diatom and run it a few times a month?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'd dump the hob and only use the canister. Your monthly maintenance bill shouldn't be anything except poly fill. All you need is the sponge, filter floss, and ceramic rings. The sponge and ceramic rings don't need replacment ever unless they fall apart. The filter floss should be replaced when needed. You can get a big bag of it at Wal-Mart in the crafts section for a couple dollars. They are cheaper IMO to maintain than a hob.

Run the hob and canister together for about a month or so then take the hob off completly.

I'd dump the hob and only use the canister. Your monthly maintenance bill shouldn't be anything except poly fill. All you need is the sponge, filter floss, and ceramic rings. The sponge and ceramic rings don't need replacment ever unless they fall apart. The filter floss should be replaced when needed. You can get a big bag of it at Wal-Mart in the crafts section for a couple dollars. They are cheaper IMO to maintain than a hob.

Run the hob and canister together for about a month or so then take the hob off completly.

So are most canister filters similar in contents? I read about this one coming with everything you need to get started. I'm assuming that's everything you mentioned above.

If that's the case, I'll definitely be getting one. I'd rather pay for an expensive filter and rarely replace media as opposed to replacing filters every month at 12 bucks a piece.

Thanks for your response.

I bought a canister filter when I set up my 29g and plan on buying another to set up my 55g. I will never use another HOB again. I LOVE my canister.

Yes, they should all come with the same media. It does come with everything you need but I toss the carbon insert and get another bag of ceramic rings. I don't run carbon in any of my tanks. Strictly floss, sponge, and rings.

And I agree with Fastfly. I run canisters on the 55 and 150. The 29 has a hob but it's only used for fry. If we kept adult fish in it I'd upgrade to a canister.

Canister

I have no experience with eheim filters. I do own Marineland Magnum 350 for my 55 Gal turtle tank. Rated for 100 GAl.

If I was to Buy all over again I would get a FLUVAL 405 the hoses, inlet outlet, and snaps are all of the highest quality. Do a Search on UTUBE for fluval 405 and you will see an install video that shows the HI Qual. If you get a Canister for your Freshwater 55 Gallon. Fluval has a 305 rated for 70 GAL (I think) I would recommend that.
Its gonna be more expensive but well worth it imho. As for the Filter system I have zero problems with clear water now and the 2 turtles are EXTREMELY Dirty, and I was having real problems with water clarity before. I replace the filter Floss every 2 weeks and the carbon once a month and my water is almost crystal clear at time of change but filter media is really dirty.

Carbon--- 10 monthly
Filter Floss ----3 for 15 dollars (6 weeks)
Clear water ----PRICELESS

Cheesy priceless reply ----Useless

Thanks for all of the replies. Your answers have all been very helpful.

Thanks!

I have an Eheim 2213 and it is not quite enough for a 55, just to be perfectly honest. However, I'd not personally run a 55 without a canister. I run canisters on my 37 gallon, so for me, any tank that has a cabinet stand has a canister, lol. I love them. They move water very well and are out of the way.

On my 55 I ran a Filstar XP4 for about 8 years, and am still running it in conjunction with a Fluval XF5 (looks like a shop vac) on my 150. Filstars are a great filter for the price. I'm partial to Eheim's, but they are not always in the budget. My 2213 is now almost 12 years old and has been running 24/7 all this time, with no problems, issues, leaks, noises, complaints, etc.! Over the long term they will pay for themselves with their quality.

Thanks for the information.

I guess I need to start more research into which brand/model I should get...

Ignore the manufacturers suggested tank size. I'm running a canister that is rated for a 100 gal on my 55. Combing the filters on the 150 has a rating for 250 gal.

With a hob I try to aim for 10x turnover rate. With a canister between 3-4x turnover rate. You're going to get just below 3x turnover rate with the 2215, you should be good.

I agree with FF.

Keep in mind with the Classic series of Eheims that all the media you see packed in there is loose - you have to essentially dump it out, layer by layer, when you rinse out the filter.

I have a couple of Ecco Eheim filters, which are very similar to the classic models but they have lift-out containers with each section of media, but I am NOT impressed with the Ecco at all. Not made with the same level of quality I would expect from Eheim.

Go with classic or Pro Series if you are interested in Eheim. Look at Fluvals and Rena Filstars, too, just for comparison.

Fishyfanatic, what filters do you run on your 150?

TG- I am running the Cascade 1000 on the 55 (rated 100 gal, turnover of roughly 4. 8. On the 150 I am runnign the Cascade 1500 (rated 200 gal) and another Cascade 1000. I had the number incorrect, the total rating is 300 gal, not 250. The 150 has a turnover rate of 4.1.

It has the seperate compartments for each filter media similar to the Ecco.

You are definitely moving some water!

I have my Fluval XF5 plus the Filstar XP4, but I think, for once in my life, that this could be overkill. I used the Filstar because it had all my bacteria from the 55, and I had all the same fish from the 55 into the 150, so I essentially had a "silent" cycle. The Fluval was new (did not come with one SPECK of media!! That was annoying)

Now that it has been running for a month or so I could disconnect the Filstar, I suppose. Maybe put it on the 10 gallon... :clown:

Yes, we are definitely moving water. lol The 150 needs it though, it's stocked with African Cichlids. My husband cleans one filter every week and it keeps the water crystal clear. If we didn't there are particles floating. We feed peas, zuc, and Spectrum pellets. Messy food for messy fish. :) It doesn't need to be done weekly but we prefer to keep on top of maintenance to keep the Nitrates at bay.

lol That 10 gal tank would REALLY be moving!

I just installed a Hagen Fluval 305 on my 55 gallon column tank and can't tell you how impressed i am.

Because the tank is so heavily planted, I was having some protein issues on the surface which was completely resolved with an easy installation of their surface skimmer.

At least check it out, I am a big fan of the fluval for about 6 months now.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

That's good to know about the Eccos! My wife found a few of those a the LFS. I was wondering what the difference between those and the classics were. Thanks for clarifying!

Back
Top Bottom