Should i make a sacrifice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javier Alexis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20gal. With 10 fishes.. Last week I bought 2 neon tetras and one of them died one day after I brought them so I take a closer look and I think the survivor have ick.. Should I take it out of the tank for the good of my other 10 fishes?

If you can isolate it in another tank don't kill it you can treat ick with simple meds

I recently had a bout with ich, absolutely do not use any chemicals. All you have to do is raise the temp, add some aquarium salt, and do water changes frequently.

I raise the temp. 84-85F I will wait till tomorrow I don't want to see any other fish die

That is great, go to your local pet store ASAP and get some aquarium salt. It will act as a dehydrator, the ich bacteria will start to react to the dehydration and start to dye off. It may take a few days to a week, but it's safe. Dose in the salt as directed on the carton and do a water change 24-36 hours after each dosing. You should be fine with that.

If one fish in your tank has ich, the ich is in your tank. Ich works by moving on and off your fish. It has different life stages. Fish that are new or stressed will usually become susceptible to an outbreak.

Yeah I know but I think they came w/ ick .I don't notice it since they re so small.

Ich is extremely easy to treat. If you begin quickly it won't have a chance to harm any other fish. Increase the temp of ur tank to around 87ish this will mess up the ich life cycle. Add a salt to create a salt bath, this will aid in the fish respiratory functions. It is important to remember that the ich can only be killed in its free swimming stage and cannot be killed while attached to the fish, so treatment may seem like it is not working, but it is. Do a gravel vac at lease every other day to keep tank clean and stress down. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom