Should I move them???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 10 gallon tank set up, my nitrogen cycle is coming to an end. I've been doing 25% water changes and am going to start doing 50% to maybe even 100%
My readings are
Nitrite at 5
Nitrates at 20-40
Ammonia .25

I'm doing big water changes to help lower the nitrite since it's spiked really high. The tank has been running for about a month now and heavily planted about 9-10 plants. 4 platys call it come.

My question is, I have another tank, 2.5 gal for 3 african dwarf frogs and 2 nirite snails I have 2 plants growing in the tank. I use spring water in that aquarium and all readings have come out awesome except recently, my ph has gone from 7.0 to around 8, hardness is 180 when it use to be lower. The water in Virginia is hard so I've been sticking to spring. Thing is my ammonia has also gone from 0 to 4. Or should I keep doing regular changes and start using dechlorinated tap? It is filtered fit with a 5 gallon whisper.

When my 10 gal is done cycling should I move my frogs and snails to that tank? I don't think my frog tank has cycled and I'm scared about losing them. Nitrite and nitrate are 0 in that tank.

Nitrite of 5ppm is very high and very poisonous to your fish. When doing a fish in cycle you should do a WC anytime ammonia and or nitrite is above .25ppm. You need to get to doing some WC's asap!

Test your spring water first to see if it is the cause of the ammonia. I wouldn't worry about ph but check that also. If your tap water is ammonia/nitrite/nitrate free I would just use it for the tank, declorinated of course.

Back
Top Bottom