Should I QT First Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenturtle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I need to quarantine the first fishes/inverts I get before I put them in the newly cycled display tank? There would be no chance of them infecting other tankmates, since there aren't any. Or will potential diseases hurt fish that will come in later? I know I will QT new batches of fish later on, but will QTing the very first fish i get really be necessary? Thanks in advance :)

YES! That fish may be carrying something that can later infect other fish. Since you have a newly established tank, you probably have no diseases and you shouldnt take a chance and introduce one.

An alternative is you can do a quick freshwater dip for about a minute, just to make sure any parasites are killed before being put in the display tank.

Although I have a freshwater tank ... I'm going to guess no because your main tank also serves as a QT for your first fish. If they get sick ... then you treat the tank. Later on ... as your Display tank is settled then yes one should QT new fish.

This is something I remember reading about months back when I was first considering setting up a QT ... and I don't remember anyone disputing it. But I'm curious to hear from more experienced members.

YES! That fish may be carrying something that can later infect other fish. Since you have a newly established tank, you probably have no diseases and you shouldnt take a chance and introduce one.

An alternative is you can do a quick freshwater dip for about a minute, just to make sure any parasites are killed before being put in the display tank.

I can see that point of view as well ... if you can set up a QT from the get go ... why not.

Well you cant really treat the tank with anything effective for something like ich because it contains copper and will kill any inverts/coral that is placed in the tank, which is why you'd want to qt the fish. It's also a hassle trying to catch the freaking fish!

Not sure. Some people say a month, others say something else. Qt until you think it's ready for primetime. Ich only takes a few days to show up. Make sure it's eating 100% and make sure there are no signs of diseases.

Back
Top Bottom