Should I remove the Bio Balls from my Wet/Dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
In reading the filter pad question below (or where ever it is now :)) I was wondering if I should remove my bio balls. I'm just setting up my tank and it is beginning to cycle. I don't have any LR yet, just some LS from the LFS (bagged stuff). Should I wait to get my LR in?

TIA,
Phyllis

If there are no animals in the system then go ahead and remove them. The rock will pick up the filtering duties provided you have enough. It would be easier to remove them from an animal free system than trying to do it after your setup is complete.
HTH

I currently have 100# of lace rock in my tank and plan to add 40# of GR from LRs.com (complete with critters). Will the tank continue to cycle ok without the bio balls using the lace rock that's already in there? LRs.com will be shipping my order some time around 11/15 when they get back from harvest.

Thanks again,
Phyllis

140# is a good start and should set you up just fine. The tank will cycle without the bioballs if you have the rock. lace rock, is that the same a base rock? If so, you really need to feed the tank with a dead cocktail shrimp to get the bacteria going. Bagged LS, I don't believe will bring that much to your system. The LR.com rock will really get you going. :) If you can, you may want to get even more than 40#, the more the merrier. :)
When I removed my bioballs, my nitrates went way down. Obsolete technology IMO with the use of LR and LS these days.

Got the decaying shrimp hanging around as we speak. I've already heard that the bagged LS is pretty much a waste of money. I'm using the lace as base rock in my tank (for now anyway... the more I read the more I learn... the more I need to doublecheck my LFS guys). Dry, dusty rock on a shelf that was hosed off and put in the tank with no life growing on it.

I think I'll go with 60# and if it looks like too much rock in the tank I'll just take out some of the lace.

Thanks,
Phyllis

I think that would be great!!
You'll love the LR.com rock. Its super stuff.
Good plan!! (y)

You are off to a good start. I would agree with removing the bio-balls. You can replace them with LR rubble. It is a much better filter media. I get mine free from the LFS. When they get in Boxes of LR they save all of the broken and rubble peices for me. I now have around 40lbs in my sump. (check out my gallery for pics of the rubble in my sump). Good Luck...Lando

lando said:
You are off to a good start. I would agree with removing the bio-balls. You can replace them with LR rubble. It is a much better filter media. I get mine free from the LFS. When they get in Boxes of LR they save all of the broken and rubble peices for me. I now have around 40lbs in my sump. (check out my gallery for pics of the rubble in my sump). Good Luck...Lando

Nice gig lando!! I need to have a little talk with my LFS. :p

Back
Top Bottom