Should I start feeding my fish freeze-dried food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already feed them flake food, pellets, frozen food and sometimes live food whenever I have time to go to the fish store. But I would it help if I fed them freeze-dried food too to give them a more varied diet?

And should I feed them bloodworms or tubifex (they're the only options on the shelf)?

Mainly small tetras and guppies.

And I've already mentioned the food.

Ehh, I've always thought of freeze dried as a "poor man's frozen food". Freeze dried food is like frozen food, but in a form that can expand in a fish's stomach and cause bloat, and the only real plus is not having to freeze it. But if you're already feeding frozen, just keep doing that.

Ehh, I've always thought of freeze dried as a "poor man's frozen food". Freeze dried food is like frozen food, but in a form that can expand in a fish's stomach and cause bloat, and the only real plus is not having to freeze it. But if you're already feeding frozen, just keep doing that.
Freeze dried food shouldnt ever expand in a fishes stomach like dry food will. Its the prime staple of nearly all salt water tanks out there.

Personally, i would say go for it. It wont hurt anything.

Freeze dried food shouldnt ever expand in a fishes stomach like dry food will. Its the prime staple of nearly all salt water tanks out there.

Personally, i would say go for it. It wont hurt anything.

This is true if you soak it first, but it seemed to coincide with bloat if I didn't do that. Not a big deal or a dealbreaker. I've just never seen a reason to use it over frozen food. You're right, it can't hurt.

It's funny, I interpreted "small tetras and guppies" as what you were using as live food, not as the fish you were feeding. Boy what a difference that makes!

This is true if you soak it first, but it seemed to coincide with bloat if I didn't do that. Not a big deal or a dealbreaker. I've just never seen a reason to use it over frozen food. You're right, it can't hurt.

It's funny, I interpreted "small tetras and guppies" as what you were using as live food, not as the fish you were feeding. Boy what a difference that makes!
Im thinking about frozen rather than freeze dried ignore me

If youre giving them a diet as varied as that then theres no real reason to give freeze dried unless youre wanting to save money. The frozen food is a step up from freeze dried.

Back
Top Bottom