Should I try betta breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing new yet. I haven't been to the fish store lately to see if there are any nice males but my female is just continuing on as usual with the occational bubble nest. Maybe she's like " Forget it, I'll do this myself" XD

Just wanted to show some pictures of my female after I moved her into the ten gallon I had out front. When I had her in my room it was kinda dark and I never really got to see all her pretty colors but in my ten gallon I have the lights on for the plants and wow. She is pretty.

img_2390746_0_8cda3c4002f7e573af46b5183c3a8de1.jpg

Also, I think she's ready. ;)
img_2390746_1_290bc98bc506c354d58772285bade10c.jpg

I still haven't gone to the fish store to pick out another male yet :/ but heres a picture of my old one. R.I.P buddy.:nono:
img_2390746_2_8d01ff8f8791aed07339733c66379331.jpg

Just wanted to show some pictures of my female after I moved her into the ten gallon I had out front. When I had her in my room it was kinda dark and I never really got to see all her pretty colors but in my ten gallon I have the lights on for the plants and wow. She is pretty.

Also, I think she's ready. ;)

I still haven't gone to the fish store to pick out another male yet :/ but heres a picture of my old one. R.I.P buddy.:nono:

I have the same cylinder tank:p! I just pulled out the undergravel filter and put in a sponge filter

I have the same cylinder tank:p! I just pulled out the undergravel filter and put in a sponge filter

That's smart :D I had sand so that wouldn't work, so I put a tiny filter in but it sounds like a mini hurricane every time I turn it on.

I got something interesting yesterday.

img_2398077_0_4a49464ecc650439696b455206cb97a5.jpg

The funny thing is that when I went to the counter to pay the cashier insisted that it was not a half moon but rather a male and was a different price. So, apparently males are another type of betta now...?:lol: Basically I got him for $4.71 instead of $10 :ROFLMAO: I was so confused as she was talking though. They only have crowntails, veiltails and halfmoons so if he wasn't a half moon then what in the world would he be? Lol the lid of his cup even says Half moon XD

I ended up toting him around all day with me though so he seemed a little tired when we got home and I decided not to transfer him yet. The little guy probably needs some rest :) I gave him a blood worm and he kinda freaked out. I guess he never saw one before and it took him a few minutes before realizing that it was food. :whistle:

I need to name these two. Can't really think of any good names. Lol maybe Lucky?
-Edit- I tried feeding him again today and he was terrified. He just started cowering away from the worms.

I got something interesting yesterday.

The funny thing is that when I went to the counter to pay the cashier insisted that it was not a half moon but rather a male and was a different price. So, apparently males are another type of betta now...?:lol: Basically I got him for $4.71 instead of $10 :ROFLMAO: I was so confused as she was talking though. They only have crowntails, veiltails and halfmoons so if he wasn't a half moon then what in the world would he be? Lol the lid of his cup even says Half moon XD

I ended up toting him around all day with me though so he seemed a little tired when we got home and I decided not to transfer him yet. The little guy probably needs some rest :) I gave him a blood worm and he kinda freaked out. I guess he never saw one before and it took him a few minutes before realizing that it was food. :whistle:

I need to name these two. Can't really think of any good names. Lol maybe Lucky?
-Edit- I tried feeding him again today and he was terrified. He just started cowering away from the worms.

Very pretty betta 0.0

Very pretty betta 0.0

Thank you. He's so cool, I never really liked half moons that much but he was so pretty that I made an exception and bought him. Today I let him scope out my female and he flared up and just wow. I noticed that his tail is kinda ruffled. Like the ends of a mermaid tail dress. :D I noticed this when I bought him but when he flared up it seemed even more apparent.:cool:

Breeding those 2 will create messed up fins!
Infusoria is only good for about the first week.
You need to get some microworms going.
Alternate BBS with the worms when you feed them.

Have you done any reading on breeding Bettas?
I have been breeding Bettas for 4 years,maybe I can give you a little help.
The reason for not breeding VTs,is the IBC has no standards for showing them(hopefully this will change).
You really should not mix tail types without reading up on Betta genetics.
Mixing tail types can give some really bad finnage,unless you inbreed for quite a few generations.
As for your pair:long fins are a dominate gene,you will end up with a lot of VTs,some with really bad fins,and maybe a few in-betweens.
Never breed a Betta because their colors are pretty,make sure you have a pretty pair with the same fin type until you know enough to mix fin types.

I've done my reading and my decision to breed the VT's was because I wanted the experience, not because I had any plans to show them. I was planning to sell them for maybe a dollar or 2 simply because I can't keep hundreds of fish for 2 years. My Male VT is no longer around so I have that new fish. The problem with being able to match their fin types is that it's impossible to know. They were likely cross breed so much that these two likely have all sorts of genes going. Getting really quality betta where I live is either going to cost an arm and a leg or isn't possible. I'm just breeding for the experience so I didn't want to spend too much.

I worry about those chances with bad fins though. I'm rather soft and culling is probably going to keep me awake for a few nights. I don't mind if they come out as VTs or in betweens as long as they are fairly healthy. Thanks for your concerns.

I find my male very shy. Not around my female but around me. It's very hard to feed him when he refuses to come up to the surface to eat anything. Is there some way to get him to relax a little? My female sees me and swims straight up to the top in anticipation for food but my male just swims at mid level and waits for sinking blood worms. Sometimes I find him swimming around with a blood worm on his head instead of eating it. :lol:

He's listed as a halfmoon? That's not a halfmoon. At least he doesn't look like one to me.

That's what it said on his jar but I don't know. Perhaps someone with more experience than me can confirm? For all I know, he might just be a betta with a gimpy fin. Since I've never had a half moon before.

Yeah I have never seen a tail like his before, interesting for sure. Kinda looks like a veil tail, but he could be a 'mutt'.

Yeah I have never seen a tail like his before, interesting for sure. Kinda looks like a veil tail, but he could be a 'mutt'.

I would put my money on a mutt. A very pretty mutt though :)

I don't know if I should be breeding mutts though....:ermm:

I don't see the big taboo on breeding bettas that aren't purebred or same fin type... Veil tail and crown tails are so generic, I love mutts. They can turn out beautiful! I have a twin tail half moon, its like a perfection of a plain twin tail. Those bettas you found are very pretty! <3

I don't see the big taboo on breeding bettas that aren't purebred or same fin type... Veil tail and crown tails are so generic, I love mutts. They can turn out beautiful! I have a twin tail half moon, its like a perfection of a plain twin tail. Those bettas you found are very pretty! <3

I think they might just be difficult to sell or that they create alot of deformed fish? I'm not sure since I've never done this before. That sounds so cool, I would love to see some pictures :D

About my male's shyness to food...well I moved him to a ten gallon and he's a completely different fish now. He attacks the blood worms and gulps down two at a time :) I also find him swimming around and relaxing on the floating plastic plants. Turns out he was just a classy guy and a 3 gallon just wasn't enough XD

So lately my male has shown 0% interest in my female. yay. :facepalm:

Welp. I guess that ends my breeding adventures. My female was trying really hard to get his attention but he went out of his way to ignore her. Poor girl. I think I may have waited too long. Oops. Stupid university. She still wants to breed but he just isn't putting out. Nothing I can do to change that is there?

Try adjusting temps (up or down) and try changing to bottled spring water. If these don't work, try different male for female and different female for male to see if it's the fish ;)
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom