Shovelnose Catfish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zic

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, ya'll. My little brother is going to be moving soon and wanted to give me his shovelnose and some type of cichlid (Texas, he thinks). I shuffled some fish around (I have several tanks) so that my 55gal in the living room would be empty for them. The move went well (I heard it was tough to net the catfish. My stepdad, the old fishing pro who hates the idea of having a fish swimming in his house that he can't try to catch, had to net him) and the two look very healthy. They were moved from a 45 gallon tall tank to my 55 gallon long tank, so they have some more room.

All my brother fed the catfish was algae discs and feeder goldfish. What else can I feed him (of her :D ) when I can't make it to the fish store for feeder fish. I was thinking about making one of my uninhabited 10 gallons into a guppy breeding tank. What do you all think? What else do you shovelnose owners feed your catfish?

i would love to have some uninhabited tanks throughout my house...lol, i'm not sure exactly what to feed them....but the breeding tank sounds good but my question is are you going to feed the guppy's to the catfish? or is it just going to be another nice tank

I'm sure you're going to give this fish the best home it's going to find Zic. I think the shovelnose is very cool but few people have the space to properly keep them. IME the fish is decidedly predatory and will eat only moving food. If yours eats algae wafers I'm surprised and consider you lucky.

You might try feeding it freeze dried krill or frozen minnows. How large is it now?

Back
Top Bottom