show pics of watergardens and ponds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice!
I wish there was a dwarfish koi that only reached around 16" at maturity. I'd love to have the space for a koi pond. Even so I'd never give up my goldies tho :)

Thanks, I used cedar, had to bring it up from down south. I have 7 commons in there for about a week and a half now. Some of these ponds have great plants. My 2 water lettuce and 2 hyacinth since I put them in have lost all there big leaves and are just tiny now. I really wish they'd grow. Do I need to fertilize? How much, all I have is nutrafin plant grow, its mostly micronutrient with a little bit of nitrogen. It would take a lot for even a small pond like mine.

The pond season is only about 3 months long here so there's not a lot of time for getting established. It gets drained in the fall as the lakes around here end up with 10 feet of ice on them.

Nice!
I wish there was a dwarfish koi that only reached around 16" at maturity. I'd love to have the space for a koi pond. Even so I'd never give up my goldies tho :)

Yeah, Koi are a one of a kind fish. I love gold fish, but I just love Koi more. I have the bottom of the pond covered in clay (cat litter), with a thin layer of pea gravel to keep the clay down, and it grows lotus like its going out of style! Unfortunately someone poured soap in the pond a few years ago, killing thousands of dollars worth of Koi, and the Gold Fish lived through it, letting the population just sky rocket. :facepalm:

Thanks, I used cedar, had to bring it up from down south. I have 7 commons in there for about a week and a half now. Some of these ponds have great plants. My 2 water lettuce and 2 hyacinth since I put them in have lost all there big leaves and are just tiny now. I really wish they'd grow. Do I need to fertilize? How much, all I have is nutrafin plant grow, its mostly micronutrient with a little bit of nitrogen. It would take a lot for even a small pond like mine.

The pond season is only about 3 months long here so there's not a lot of time for getting established. It gets drained in the fall as the lakes around here end up with 10 feet of ice on them.

In my experience, I never drain any of my ponds, I live down in N.C, but my ponds still freeze over, (with fish still in them) and when it thaws, the fish are fine. But I'm not saying you should try it. Plus my ponds are in ground, thus letting the water under ground level not to freeze.

garden pond

heres our garden pond - we have goldfish. very relaxing when we eat out on the deck.

Attachments

• pond 002.jpg
    pond 002.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 161
  • pond 001.jpg
    pond 001.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 150
My Water garden

This is a 5x8 pond has 11 goldfish and 1 shark fin band algae eater.

Attachments

• Pond .jpg
    Pond .jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 140
thanks- I also like yours and the water flowing out of the pot
Thanks..found that pot at a neighborhood grocery store and went to home depot and made the plumbing to turn it into a waterfall. Cheaper than most I have found paid 20 dollars for it including plumbing supplies.

The last picture I updated here was after I got it all done in the beginning of summer. Still working out some of the plant around the pond but here are some I took today let me know what yall think. Enjoy

ForumRunner_20120814_171021.jpg

ForumRunner_20120814_171117.jpg

ForumRunner_20120814_171237.jpg

Looks nice.
I know since i put the cattail and watercress in mine at the beginning of summer my nitrates went from reading 40-60 to literally 0 all summer, plus it makes things look so much better? Havin plants in your pond is definitely a win win all the way!

Cichlid Kid said:
Looks nice.
I know since i put the cattail and watercress in mine at the beginning of summer my nitrates went from reading 40-60 to literally 0 all summer, plus it makes things look so much better? Havin plants in your pond is definitely a win win all the way!

Why thanks the part you can't see on the other side of the bridge is full of plants mostly water lilies. I think I'm going to get rid of some there can't be to much room down in the water for the fish.

Andrew McFadden said:
Why thanks the part you can't see on the other side of the bridge is full of plants mostly water lilies. I think I'm going to get rid of some there can't be to much room down in the water for the fish.

Do you still have those frogs living in there?

Back
Top Bottom