Shrimp and fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barnature

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

A few days ago when I went to the pet shop I saw green and red cherry shrimp for sale. They were less than 1 inch long. they were really cute and I decided to buy them in the future. When I was reading about green shrimp I discovered that they should have a tank to themselves. Is this true/necessary? I have a 10g planted with 3 Blue Flame Tetras, 2 Silvertip Tetras and 3 Fancy Guppies. Can I put two shrimp in there or will the fish eat them?

Thanks,
Nature

Shrimp are a delicacy for most fish. The only shrimp safe fish I know of are otos. Several types of shrimp should only be kept with their own types of shrimp.

The shrimp you saw sound like they were both neocardina species which will interbreed resulting in wild colored (brownish) offspring. The fish you have should be fine with adult shrimp. Any babies will need heavy cover for a chance at survival.

i agree with hn. the adults should be ok but might not have to worry about babies if you are only getting 2. only 50/50 chance to get a pair less they know how to sex and will pull a pair out. shrimp best to start with 6-10.

ive currently got 5 cherries, 4 tigers, and 2 ghost shrimp in a 20 long with a school of embers and 3 yoyo loaches and have had 0 casualties in over a month...that wont last tho once the yoyos get bigger but the yoyos will be moved soon. I agree with everyone else...you should be fine for now but any offspring are just fancy fish food. And you cannot mix green and cherry shrimp together as they produce bad colored offspring.

Thanks for the info guys!

So today I went and bought 3 cherry red shrimps. After only thirty minutes a problem sparked up. How do you I clean the fish tank? They (the shrimps) are less than half an inch long and right now I can only spot one of them. When I will gravel clean they are sure to get sucked into the tube! What do I do?

Thanks for the info guys!

So today I went and bought 3 cherry red shrimps. After only thirty minutes a problem sparked up. How do you I clean the fish tank? They (the shrimps) are less than half an inch long and right now I can only spot one of them. When I will gravel clean they are sure to get sucked into the tube! What do I do?

watch carefully ,lol, they wikk usualy hide in the plants or driftwood.

with mine ill feed on one side of the tank wait 20-30 mins then clean on the other. next time do the opposite. i also use a cover over my python so i have zero chance of sucking one out.

I have amono shrimp and have never had a problem gravel vac'ing but they are about an inch long but I always watch and I have a strainer in my sink drain just incase, luckily I have never had one get caught.

haha ive never thought about that before...i wouldnt think the shrimp would get sucked up as they never have a problem with the filter suction but idk

mostly is the small baby shrimp. with out a cover up its not uncommon to find shrimp in the filter. amanos wont breed in fw so you wont have to worry about babies with them. also amanos will get to about 2 inch and great hair algae eaters.

The shrimp you saw sound like they were both neocardina species which will interbreed resulting in wild colored (brownish) offspring.

The green shrimp would be from the genus Caridina if they are truly green shrimp. The shrimp could also be artificially colored Neocaridina sp.

LOL. Don't worry, they'll be in style next year and everyone will be mixing the species and selling "Rare Brown Bark Shrimp".

You don't have to mix a species to get wild form shrimp. Red cherry shrimp and yellow shrimp are the same species and they would produce wild form shrimp if crossbred just as RCS crossed with snowball shrimp or blue pearls (both the same species) would produce wild form young.

artificially colored Neocaridina sp.
i had green neo sp that breed green. not as well as the dark greens caridina sp but still.

img_985494_0_1eab3b39ace3d7afb997d602e9a72b5a.jpg

Thanks.
I have no idea were my shrimps are right now. I checked all the plants and the filter. I guess I will just clean the tank as every other day. Hopefully they will grow and one day I will see them. In the meantime they can eat the leftover food on the bottom. ... Or maybe I will never see them again. Each one cost 3.99$ in Big Al's. That's a lot of money for a shrimp so tiny that you cannot see when put into the tank... and let alone catch.

I learned my lesson. Never buy a fish that is so tiny that you can barely see! Even if you really wanted one you probably didn't think about the 'cleaning the tank' part!

i put some RCS in my tank and forgot about them
i never saw them and i thought my other fish ate them
one night i was viewing my tank with a LED light and i actually saw 2 shrimps scavanging for food...i guess they were hiding in the forest of java moss
i actually bought them as juveniles and they actually grew a little...

Back
Top Bottom