Shrimp attacking my Drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just finished cycling and stocking a 5 gallon tank. It has a betta and six amano shrimp. The substrait is ultra-fine white sand and I have a piece of drift wood that makes a cave.

During the day, all the shrimp hide out in the drift wood cave. But all over the floor of my tank are little pieces of what appear to be tiny chunks of wood. It's either that, or a rediculous amount of shrimp poo (which I don't even know what that would look like). Yesterday, I did a major PWC and cleanup of the tank floor. But after a single night, there's these tiny little pieces of ... what ever... all over the floor of the tank.

Are these little shrimp actually tearing my driftwood apart? Will it finally reach a point where it will stop? Do I need to reduce the number of amano shrimp I have in this tank and move some of them to my other 10 gallon tank?

Under a high power magnifying glass, all I can say is that they look like tiny little cyclinders: rounded sides, jagged ends.

Yes, shrimp will pick at driftwood and "tear it apart" so to speak. I noticed this with my red cherry shrimp in one of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom