Shrimp ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
richardh said:
They are clear mostly, some of them have a line of dark spots running down their side though, which makes me wonder.

This, along with the pics, makes me think amano as well.

Yeah maybe I always fed mine good. It was neat to watch the food move around inside them.

Yeah maybe I always fed mine good. It was neat to watch the food move around inside them.
yea they are cool. I just dont want to risk it. Also sometimes I think prawns get mistakenly sold as ghosties and that is bad...

Yeah some of the chain stores have no clue. I seen some parana mixed in with silver dollars. I tried to tell them but when I went back a few days later they were still mixed.
I've only got ghost shrimp from stores are mainly just fish stores.

Yeah some of the chain stores have no clue. I seen some parana mixed in with silver dollars. I tried to tell them but when I went back a few days later they were still mixed.
yep no clue.

Josh1158 said:

I get mine from my LFS and they sometimes get oddities mixed into the shipment like minnows. Once there was a baby cray, which is now mine. They gave her to me free! So there may be other shrimp mixed in. All mine become puffer food in a week or so so I don't really mind. They don't bother my guppy fry while they're still around though.

calfishguy said:
How much did you pay for them Ghosts are usually very cheap.

I got them for £1 each, but this wasn't the owner of the shop. I asked of they were ghost, he said yes. Another guy, about 12!, piped in that they were amanos.

I suppose I could have a mix of ghost and amanos. I will study them later and post more pics.

Thanks to everyone who has replied :)

One thing that is unique about Ghost Shrimp is their orange body markings. They are very subtle, but if you get a good look it will be clear. Look for orange "wrists" on their front legs and there is usually orange bands on their longest antenna. I don't know how effective this is, just something I've noticed about mine.

A few better pictures if this helps to ID?

Attachments

• image-704288207.jpg
    image-704288207.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 72
  • image-642159616.jpg
    image-642159616.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2808707948.jpg
    image-2808707948.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1833841492.jpg
    image-1833841492.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 85
Thanks, i was just looking some of the others in the batch. Some of them are a lot lighter, smaller and almost clear. Perhaps I have a mixture of amano and ghost! Or maybe they just need to mature.

Basefrog said:
Well they look like Amano and if they are at £1 each that was a great deal! I just bought 3 for £8 =s

Yea amanos are expensive by me too (£2-£4 each) although I am moving soon so hopefully I'll have a decent LFS near me :)

Yeah! Though they are great shrimp at cleaning algae.. I have noticed them clear patches overnight which is win win!

Back
Top Bottom