Shrimp Only 2g Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there. I'm a rather experienced planted freshwater tank keep and have recently become interesting in saltwater shrimp. These are not the Candy Cane Shrimp you can find in stores either.

Hawaiian Red Shrim

I'd like to keep these shrimp in a SG of 1.0145-1.0168 tank that is about 2g, give or take 0.5g. Is this possible to do at all with minimal cost? Don't really think I'll be keeping them with live rock. I don't have any room for a 10g.

Any help is appreciated.

course its possible, burks,

the sw tank is a whole different life in a box, most sw people dont even use filters, because LR does so good.

gary's had some LR for $4.99, im sure he still has it, i encourage you to just try some, the life packed in those things is crazy

you may need a small powerhead, as sw tanks need much movement

im actually looking forward to leaping into sw too

those appear to be a feeder shrimp. i am not to informed on them so i maybe wrong.

just something to think about. small saltwater tanks can be very tricky to keep parameters correct. it only takes a small change to really swing your levels around. one of the biggest problems with nano tanks is the SG. as water evaporates the SG will rise. small delicate shrimp will have a hard time dealing with the fluctuating SG. i am sure it can be done. i ma just passing along a few thoughs

steve r

I'd like to use LR but the problem is getting enough light. If I were to buy a powerful light setup I'd just do a full size SW tank.

Gary does have some nice rock though.

burks, (slightly laughing) live rock doesnt need lights, that is only coral, i use to think the same thing

hc8719 said:
burks, (slightly laughing) live rock doesnt need lights, that is only coral, i use to think the same thing

Ooooo. Yeah I'm uninformed (polite way of saying stupid).

most live rock is dead coral that has little bugs, and critters in it, it doesnt need light.

coral, for whatever reason, marine people consider an animal, despite it lacking any parts of any creature in the kingdom animalia. coral needs excessive sunlight, infact, i dont know how it survives in the wild with just "normal" sunlight. if anything coral is a combo of plant and rock, sometimes soft rock, but nonetheless, they still consider it an animal.

just read up on the sw pages every so often burks, ive learned alot

This is what they say:
Please adjust your salinity to 1.0114 for holding these shrimp!!
Looks like you might have problems with anyother type of SW fish/invert/coral....

i dont even think you could put a clown goby in a 2 gal, so its not like stocking else is an issue

1.0114 isnt that like brackish water? (if not you'll have to forgive me, im still sw in training)

It will be a species only tank for sure. Not interesting in any other fish/inverts.

If you are serious, invest in a refractometer for your first piece of equipment. Then, build an automatic top off for the tank. Shrimp do not deal with salinity fluctuations well at all.
Live rock will provide filtration and free food. Use it.

Back
Top Bottom