Shrimp!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, can someone please give me some pointers on how to setup a shrimp tank, like the kind of gravel, plants, and shrimp? Any comment is welcome. Thanks!!

Austin.b said:
Hey, can someone please give me some pointers on how to setup a shrimp tank, like the kind of gravel, plants, and shrimp? Any comment is welcome. Thanks!!

Well, what size? Heavily planted? Red cherry shrimp are cool!!

Im tryin to set up a shrimp tank as well, but bobody knows much abt them so ill try and help. First you need java moss. Shrimp eat it, and lay their eggs in it. Second- any type of roccks will do. The types of shrimp that are good for beginers are ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp! They are hardy and breed like crazy. Do u plan on breeding them? If so u need a sponge filter so the fry dont get sucked up and killed. Its pretty easy to keep shrimp, so enjoy!

Gboy66 said:
Well, what size? Heavily planted? Red cherry shrimp are cool!!

Maybe a 3 to 5 gallon? And I want to have it planted, but not too heavily. Where can I buy RCS? Online? Or are they easily sold at LFS? Thanks!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im tryin to set up a shrimp tank as well, but bobody knows much abt them so ill try and help. First you need java moss. Shrimp eat it, and lay their eggs in it. Second- any type of roccks will do. The types of shrimp that are good for beginers are ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp! They are hardy and breed like crazy. Do u plan on breeding them? If so u need a sponge filter so the fry dont get sucked up and killed. Its pretty easy to keep shrimp, so enjoy!

Yes, I plan on breeding them, how hard is it? How much would a sponge filter be? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Sure thing. And they are difficult to find at lfs so i suggest getting them online. U said 6 gallon right? That means u can have abt 50-60 shrimp and sponge filters are cheap for a tank that size. The rcs are one of the easiest shrimp to breed, but dont put anyother fish in the tank because u dont want the fry to get eaten. And like i said before java moss is good for shrimp! Gooooooood luck!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Sure thing. And they are difficult to find at lfs so i suggest getting them online. U said 6 gallon right? That means u can have abt 50-60 shrimp and sponge filters are cheap for a tank that size. The rcs are one of the easiest shrimp to breed, but dont put anyother fish in the tank because u dont want the fry to get eaten. And like i said before java moss is good for shrimp! Gooooooood luck!

Yeah or maybe 4 or 5 gallons. But ok thanks for the help!!!!!

Ya totally. Try to get abt 10 rc shrimp in the begining so ur odds of breeding are better. Also there are TONS of differant types of shrimp, so explore them all!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya totally. Try to get abt 10 rc shrimp in the begining so ur odds of breeding are better. Also there are TONS of differant types of shrimp, so explore them all!

Ok, I'll do that then, thanks so much!

Cherry Shrimp are the easiest to start out with. Ghost Shrimp very rarely breed in fresh water. Their babies are much harder to raise.

They need live plants. And a cycled stable tank. Once they are established they are very hardy for Shrimp.

You don't have to use a sponge filter. I put a sponge over the intake of my HOB filter. Works fine.

10g
2 screw in CFL lights
Sand
HOB filter
Lots of Plants
Deeply buried root tabs
I use liquid plant food 1x weekly
PWC 1x weekly

If you want a straight breeding tank you can use Moss Balls or grow Moss on rocks or DWood. So the Shrimp are easier to see/catch. And skip the other plants.

I started with 2 Otos and MTS (snails) I added 20 RCS. It's MUCH cheaper to buy from hobbyists here or on The Planted Tank.

My colony is maybe 60? RCS and 4 SS grade CRS (much more sensitive !!!)

RCS, Blue Pearl shrimp and Yellow are all from the same species, just different colors. Keep only one color, though, as they breed together you will end up with the origional brown wild coloration. A lot of people keep Endlers Livebearers with these shrimp without any problems, but you'd probably want to have a larger tank, say like a 10 - 20 gallon. Endlers are really pretty, very fast moving, easy to breed, and fun to watch. Just make sure you read about cycling your tank first. There is a good link on here called the almost complete guide to fishless cycling. We've purchased some on ebay before that came with a starter selection of plants fairly reasonably. Sometimes you can find them on ebay with a trio of endlers as well.

Check craigslist for aquarium set ups - we just got a great deal this last week on a complete 30 gal. $40 for glass tank, stand, hood, heater, filter, syphon, and other accessories.

Wrong forum. This one is for community news and announcements. Moved to FW general discussion.

Sorry to rub it in but they r readily available in the UK

Back
Top Bottom