Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scunnypaxo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys & girls, has anyone got experience of keeping freshwater shrimp? Need some info if poss from people who know rather than trawling the Internet. Need housing advice, feeding advice. Cheers muckas.

scunnypaxo said:
Hi guys & girls, has anyone got experience of keeping freshwater shrimp? Need some info if poss from people who know rather than trawling the Internet. Need housing advice, feeding advice. Cheers muckas.

I'm currently keeping red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon tank with only an air powered sponge filter as filtration. They don't like much flow so that should e considered. They are scavengers so they eat all the time but mine prefer the hirikari sinking algae wafers. Shrimp also love a planted tank so that is a plus. They don't like having other fish in the tank though, so breeding would slow down with other fish present but it isn't impossible for them to breed. Baby shrimp make a great snack though. ;)

No not really only the one that has my java moss attached to it

Attachments

• image-2841790304.jpg
    image-2841790304.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2119603164.jpg
    image-2119603164.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 127

They are easy to keep. As was mentioned, they don't need much. A 5 -10gal with a sponge filter is more than enough for a colony of RCS or other smaller Neo's. Simple Plants like Java Moss, Java Fern and Anubias would do nicely along with some DW and a few rocks wouldn't hurt.

You can start with inexpensive shrimp like Ghost Shrimp. After a month, you can go with RCS and or Amano Shrimp. All three of these I find are relatively easy to find at LFS's.

jcolon said:
They are easy to keep. As was mentioned, they don't need much. A 5 -10gal with a sponge filter is more than enough for a colony of RCS or other smaller Neo's. Simple Plants like Java Moss, Java Fern and Anubias would do nicely along with some DW and a few rocks wouldn't hurt.

You can start with inexpensive shrimp like Ghost Shrimp. After a month, you can go with RCS and or Amano Shrimp. All three of these I find are relatively easy to find at LFS's.

Anabolic shrimp are really cool. Very sturdy and make a nice addition to a tank despite their lack of colour. The only problem is they need brackish water for breeding, unlike red cherry shrimp.

I've been keeping Amano shrimp in my 64l tank and they seem very happy. Funnily enough they are probably the least fussy species out of them all contrary to belief! However Ammonia should be zero for these guys with a planted tank with sand substrate being preferable. Buy some moss balls if you can but not essential. Would recommend some bog wood too to keep them happy. Only other advice I can give is make sure they are compatible with other fish to avoid them becoming an expensive meal!

Back
Top Bottom