Sick Albino Cory Cat...Please Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so i have a semi-new Cory Cat, Albino, ever since i got him, he's been on and off pretty much, active one day, and just sitting on the bottom of the tank all day. But today, he's just on his side breathing and not really moving much. I did a 15% water change, his gills have the slightest bit of red near them, but i dont know if it is from the natural color of the gills or if its ammonia poisoning or stress. I will try and attach a picture.

Attachments

• IMG00155-20110409-1843.jpg
    IMG00155-20110409-1843.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 303
BfishLpond78 said:
Ok, so i have a semi-new Cory Cat, Albino, ever since i got him, he's been on and off pretty much, active one day, and just sitting on the bottom of the tank all day. But today, he's just on his side breathing and not really moving much. I did a 15% water change, his gills have the slightest bit of red near them, but i dont know if it is from the natural color of the gills or if its ammonia poisoning or stress. I will try and attach a picture.

Why do you think is ammonia poisoning?

Are you cycling with fish?

Unfortunately yes, i used API's zyme to add the beneficial bacteria to the tank, and from what i have read in the past it could be ammonia poisoning. All my other fish are perfectly fine and active, i even have another cory cat. No redning of the gills or anything.

I prolly should have waiting longer to add fish huh...sorry everyone.

You don't need to apologize, what is important now is that you start to measure the quality of the water in your tank. More specific the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
Get an API liquid master kit, and know exactly where you stand. You will need to make at least 50% Partial Water Changes to drop the ammonia as close to 0 ppm.
But without these readings, we can just assume that your Cory is suffering due to high ammonia in the tank.

If you can't get the ammonia down via PWC for some reason (like ammonia in your water source), use Prime to temporarily detox it.

I've mostly cycled with fish, silent or otherwise, and the way not to lose fish to it is to keep a very close eye on water quality, lots of PWCs, and appropriate use of things like Prime and aquarium salt.

Corys ARE NOT good fish to cycle a tank with. They can be very picky about the water chemistry.

From that picture and your description I see the classic signs of ammonia poisoning. You need to detoxify that aquarium now and get a 50% PWC done ASAP.

It's gills are red because they are being burned by the ammonia and it is making it hard for it to breathe. That is usually why they lay on the bottom of the tank, they are out of breath.

Back
Top Bottom