Sick angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronMi0127

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I've an angelfish. Previously it suffered from popping eye, that eye seems OK now.

Now the another eye has some serious problem. The PH is really high, which is above 7.6. Other parameters are really good though.

How do I cure this angelfish?

Attachments

• 20211115_181245[1].jpg
    20211115_181245[1].jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 16
Im not really sure what im looking at? Can you get a better photo of the issue? Is it popeye again?

How did you treat the other eye?

Can you give some more details please?

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Im not really sure what im looking at? Can you get a better photo of the issue? Is it popeye again?

How did you treat the other eye?

Can you give some more details please?

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

As you can see in the picture, the top of angelfish eye has something grown up. It looks like a blood clot. The angelfish had clear eye, but now has blood in its eye.

Parameters measured using API test kit, PH is 7.6; high range PH is 7.4; ammonia is 0 ppm; nitrte NO2 is 0ppm; nitrate NO3 is 0ppm.

The tank is 165 liter. The tank has been setup for 2 years. I have the angelfish about 2 years.

I’m using aquarium build-in filter with self-setup sponge of physical and biological filters. The fish tank is Aqua 850 sold in Australia.

There are 8 fish. Angelfish is the biggest one, while others are small fish, red dwarf gouramis and platys. The other fish are all healthy and active.

I changed the water about once 2 weeks with about 30 liters. Last time I change the water was 2 days ago.

I didn’t add anything new in last 6 month.

In addition, I use flake and frozen shrimp to feed my fish.

When I discovered that the angelfish was sick, I used API Pimafix, adding about 20 ml to the aquarium 3 times in last 6 days. But I think its health has been deteriorating.

Attachments

• fish ill eye.jpg
    fish ill eye.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 15
If you can, quarantine the fish. That way if its an infection that can spread you prevent it infecting otherwise healthy fish. Also medicating in QT means you are only treating the sick fish and not stressing out healthy ones with unnecessary treatments.

In a quarantine tank i would first of make sure your water is pristine. Daily, 30 to 50% water changes. That would be of more benefit than anything in helping your fish heal.

You could treat the quarantine with aquarium salt and a combination of melafix and pimafix. These arent true antibiotic medications, there is stronger stuff available depending on your country (here in UK antibiotic medications are vets prescription only).

Parameters measured using API test kit, PH is 7.6; high range PH is 7.4; ammonia is 0 ppm; nitrte NO2 is 0ppm; nitrate NO3 is 0ppm

I want to question these water parameters. They are basically impossible unless done immediately after a 100% water change.

In a cycled tank, your fish waste (ammonia) is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. Nitrate is removed with your water changes. Change 50% of the water and you remove 50% of the nitrate. So in a cycled tank you should see some nitrate unless you have effectively removed all the nitrate with a 100% water change.

In an uncycled tank, your fish waste (ammonia) cant be converted into nitrate, so you should be seeing either ammonia or nitrite, possibly both and some nitrate as well depending on how far progressed your cycle is.

You cant be seeing nothing. That shouldn't happen. This is a concern. Can you make sure you are doing the test correctly, get a 2nd opinion maybe from your local fish store or a different test kit. The nitrate test is particularly easy to get wrong, really got to shake the heck out of bottle #2.

You arent changing water that much and i would expect to see a lot more nitrate in a cycled tank. The concern though is that possibly its your ammonia or nitrite that's wrong, you would therefore not be cycled and that could be the cause of your issues.

Just double check this to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom