Sick Baby Lionhead Goldfish! (Need help fast)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have had a lionhead goldfish for about 6 months now that I bought when it was just a little baby. For the past 2 days he has been floating near the top, not gasping for air or anything, just sitting up there swimming gently. He has no swim bladder issue, as I saw him swim down to the bottom of the tank today. He also has been getting a really puffy face lately with tons of small red dots around the outside of his face. I know a puffy face is normal for these fish, but what about the red dots and little activity. He seems more hungry when I feed him though. He is in a 55 gallon tank with a blackmoor and a ryukin, both bigger than him. Any help fast would be appreciated, as I am leaving to Edmonton tomorrow and won't be back for about 5-7 days!!

Can you post a pic? It sounds like he may just be starting wen growth but I can not say that absolutely as wen growth typically appears as 'pimples'. How are your parameters?

I did a test and the results read: pH: 7.5 High range pH: 7.5 Ammonia: 0.25 ppm Nitrite: 0.25 ppm (did a quick water change after) Nitrate: 50 ppm (did a quick water change after).

I'm trying my best to get a pic, but he keep moving around and the dots are so small I don't know if it will show up.

So I couldn't get a pic, but I will try my best to describe it. It looks like a color change in the fish itself and not really elevated or anything. It just looks red in a few places around his face. Is this just part of the face swelling they develop?

I know you mentioned your leaving shortly so manage the best you can. I would do a couple of big wcs to drop all of your levels down as low as possible before you leave. Is someone going to be looking after these guys while your gone?

This morning he seems to be getting better. He's a lot more active like he was last week, and the redness has gone down a lot. I will try my best to get someone to look after them! Thank you for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom