Sick Black Skirt Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBTetraguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This evening while viewing my tank I noticed one of my Black skirt tetras swimming erraticly in spirals centered around his head, I immediately isolated the sick fish in a seperate bowl Im pretty sure hes not going to make it, his color is faded and his respiration rate is much higher than the other fish in the tank, I cant see any outward signs of sickness, but Im afraid the other fish in my tank might be infected if its a contagious disease, The tank is still cycling, with nitrites at about 1.5 ppm and decreasing, Ph is about 6.98 temp 80 F 27C. Is there anything I can do to prevent my other fishe from becoming sick?

THanks for any help you can give.

Drew

He may be suffering from exposure to the ammonia/nitrite that was present as the tank cycled. If there are no outward signs of disease, I wouldn't worry too much about anything contagious. Sometimes you lose a few while cycling...the strongest ones survive. Are all the other fish doing all right?
Logan J

Everyone else in the tank seems to be doing OK Logan, Nitrites are on the way down, currently hovering around 1 PPM, the sick fish was the smallest in the tank. Since I have isolated him in a 5 gallon tank, and treated the water with Paragon II he seems to be doing much better, still a little jerky, but no more spinning. He did alot of damage to his fins during hte initial spins so Im going to keep him isolated for a couple of weeks to give him a rest from the Buenas Aries Tetras in the tank, they have a tendency to get a lil rough at times

Back
Top Bottom