sick coral beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't help right now, my work will not allow photobucket. Hopefully someone can help.

Looks like there was some kind of trauma . what are his other tank mates?
Keep water perameters high and offer foods soaked in selcon and garlic. Perhaps a better pic would help ... Stress will cuase them to stop eating so try to keep stress at a minimum

let's try this....

img_797247_0_392f8dc42a7bf4c97365c017b17f65c1.jpg

img_797247_1_98e4cd3025d127f975063f4455498a1e.jpg

I agree with Sadie that it looks like some sort of trauma. Do you have any tangs in the tank. Never mind I looked in your info and you do have a yellow tang. It looks like that could be where he got spiked by the yellow tang. They dont call them surgeon fish for no reason. Keep water conditions at pristine conditions so as not to develope any secondary bacterial infection. If it starts to look worse then you might have to QT and treat for bacterial infection. I hope all goes well.

Nope, I still can't see them....hmm, that's annoying!

he didn't make it. I was going to setup a quarantine and treat with maracyn, but the spot got huge in a hurry and then it was over. I recently added two emerald mythrax crabs.....could this have been it? I realize it could have been the tang, too, but these two seem to get along fairly well.

It's very odd indeed.

My guess would be the tang. It`s hard to pinpoint without seeing the fish up close but that is my guess.

Sorry for your loss . It very well may have been a nip/attack of the crab . How big is he ? They can be very opportunistic .

Ok, now I can see it. My disease book is at work. It looks like wither a sting or infection. I'll get back to you, just make sure you bump this post on Monday. It might help for future reference.

Before he died, the white patch got really large and took up almost all of his right side. It only took two days. I figure it was probably some type of damage, then it got infected and it was over very quickly. Poor guy

A few more questions:
1. Did it produce slime or lack of slime?
2. Did the skin come off at all? If so, were they bloody patches?
3. What is your pH?

1. I couldn't tell if it was slimy or not, but I would guess no
2. It appeared as if the skin was "coming off" kind of--but when he turned to face me, the "white patch" looked raised, not depressed (if that makes sense) Also, I never saw any blood.
3. Don't know--haven't checked ph in a loooooong time. Last time I checked my dkh it was 11

Another thing I just remembered was that the next day when it was real bad, it looked as if he was starting to get fin rot.....all of his fins were starting to look as if there were chunks missing off the ends of them.

Back
Top Bottom