sick dwarf gourami!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dwarf gourami is sick. I think he has dropsy. His scales are all sticking out. Also, I noticed some tiny black spots around his fins. Plus, he's not really eating. My 20 gallon isn't set up, but I have a 1 gallon that I had started cycling (fishless). In fear that my other fish would get sick, I put him in the 1 gallon and dropped in a tiny dose of medicine. I have a desk light over the tank to keep it warm. I'm hoping he will pull through this. Am I doing things the right way with him? Any suggestions?

*edit - I forgot to add that he's lost a lot of his color. And wanted to know if I should give the 55 gal a dose of medicine as a precautionary step.

I'm going to tell you that dropsy doesn't have the best recovery rate. It's usually a secondary condition - can be caused by poor water quality or another disease/infection. You did the right thing by quarantining him...my boyfriend did the same thing when our dwarf gourami had dropsy...a one gallon bowl with a light on top.

I would keep dosing for the recommended time on the box and keep a close eye on your other fish as well. What are you water params?

readings on the 55 gal:

temp - 80
pH - 7.8
KH - 80
GH - 150
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10

I don't have a filter or airpump for the 1 gal is this okay? Do you need the readings for the 1 gal? Also, should I put any salt in the 1 gal?
Thanks.

a gourami is a labyrinth so they will get air from the surface, but you want to change the 1gallon water every day so it doesn't get an ammonia buildup.. at least 50% every day i would suggest. Just wait and see how the meds work, i wouldn't really add the salt as it interferes with the osmotic pressure and may actually make it more difficult for the fish to hold water.

ok, will do. thank you for the advice. Do you know what the black spots on his fins could be?

could be another infection or fungus....are they fuzzy?

actually, now that I think about it...black spot is a disease...a parasitic disease at that.

do you have a picture?

Last night I shut the light off and about an hour later I found him dead. :( The spots weren't fuzzy. It could have been black spot disease. I'll keep my eye on the other fish. If they end up with it, how do I should I go about treating it?

aw, I am so sorry for your loss. You did the best you could.

Well, if it was black spot, I would definitly watch your other fish for it. Dropsy could have been a secondary condition your gourami got from having black spot disease.

Back
Top Bottom