Sick fish and don't know what it is!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dotty21690

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an orange gold fish, about 2 yes old now, that is like family to me. Has a wonderful personality. But lately he has been acting strange. About a few months ago I noticed this white patch on the top of his tail fin (almost like a cotton like small patch, so I don't believe it is ich). Then he got swim bladder disease, fed him the peas and is getting better. But just over the past couple weeks he has another one of the white patches on the bottom part of his tail fin (small like the other one) and he has been Latin around the bottom a lot with his back tail drooping. While he sits at the bottom, he does have his moments of swimming normally and eats pretty well. Also, when he swims, sometimes It seems as if he tries to hide under the filter tube that hangs down (about an inch from the bottom) and a lot of his fecal is floating with only a small portion of it being filled with dark stuff (so most of it is white/clear bubble with string). I have also recently added aquarium salt to the tank to see if that helps, so far it has a tad, but not much. One more thing, yesterday I noticed a thin red vein like thing on the bottom of his hind tail (only steak, but canmt get a good look since he doesn't stay still very long) and has a rather large circle area on his head that's either dark orange or red, can't really tell. thanks in advance for taking your time to help!

I have an orange gold fish, about 2 yes old now, that is like family to me. Has a wonderful personality. But lately he has been acting strange. About a few months ago I noticed this white patch on the top of his tail fin (almost like a cotton like small patch, so I don't believe it is ich). Then he got swim bladder disease, fed him the peas and is getting better. But just over the past couple weeks he has another one of the white patches on the bottom part of his tail fin (small like the other one) and he has been Latin around the bottom a lot with his back tail drooping. While he sits at the bottom, he does have his moments of swimming normally and eats pretty well. Also, when he swims, sometimes It seems as if he tries to hide under the filter tube that hangs down (about an inch from the bottom) and a lot of his fecal is floating with only a small portion of it being filled with dark stuff (so most of it is white/clear bubble with string). I have also recently added aquarium salt to the tank to see if that helps, so far it has a tad, but not much. One more thing, yesterday I noticed a thin red vein like thing on the bottom of his hind tail (only steak, but canmt get a good look since he doesn't stay still very long) and has a rather large circle area on his head that's either dark orange or red, can't really tell. thanks in advance for taking your time to help!

Well I'm no expert but it sounds like you have a case of Finn rot go to your local Petsmart and get some Mela fix and some Pima fix. That will treat and prevent the opening of sores and will also treat any bacterial infection in the water.

After a week of following the directions on the bottle do a 50 percent water change don't forget to add your tap water conditioner replace your filters and add more medicine to the freshwater this should resolve the ailements that are plaguing your goldfish.

Personally I really don't care what anyone else says I think that even in a freshwater tank a teaspoon for every 2 gallons of water is acceptable as it helps reduce harmful bacteria, it also helps scrub algae out of your water and sludge making your water look much more clear and attractive be careful how much salt do you put into your tank with your fresh water fish as too much salt will stress them out and eventually cause death.

One of my goldies had floating poop you are describing, figured out it was from her eating the bubbles from the air stone. I think she thought the bubbles floating on top was food. Feeding peas or spirula every day helped. Plus I had to turn off the air pump and added another power filter.

If you add salt, make sure it is not iodized salt. I use aquarium salt and follow the instructions. Hope she is doing better. :) :) :)

One of my goldies had floating poop you are describing, figured out it was from her eating the bubbles from the air stone. I think she thought the bubbles floating on top was food. Feeding peas or spirula every day helped. Plus I had to turn off the air pump and added another power filter.

If you add salt, make sure it is not iodized salt. I use aquarium salt and follow the instructions. Hope she is doing better. :) :) :)

Yes like sandy said use only the appropriate aquarium salt

Welcome to AA!!

Can you please provide some more info so we can better help you? Tank size? Type of goldfish? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What your using to test (liquid or strips)? Water change schedule (%/# wk)? A picture of what you are seeing will also be very helpful to determine what is going on here. Please do not add any meds (aq salt in low doses is ok) until we have some idea of what you are dealing with. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom